Set pdf form name before mailing

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time setting up PDF form.  Pleased it was very easy.  I have a submit button using the SUBMIT FORM

MAILTO:xxxxx  Exporting the whole PDF document.  

I can't find the answer to this question, it seems like it would be a common requirement.  If I send the form out to multiple people, when they return it, it comes back with the same PDF name. Instead a pile of docs with the same name, is there a way I can grab the filled in NAME field + filled in DATE field and use that as the PDF's file name when they hit the submit button prior to the mailto?  The return attachment would be "JOHN SMITH 03/04/21". 

I really don't need the user to save the form at all, much less under any particular name.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be achieved with JavaScript.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the discussion

For more information about using JavaScript please check out the help article https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/js_api_reference.pdf

You may also check out the similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/saving-a-flat-pdf-w-field-filename-current-date-time-in-new-l... and see if that helps you in right direction.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat can't change file names. It can only save the file with a new name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying Bernd.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've solved this issue in the past by saving the PDF to a new name.  In one case the customer did not want the emailed PDF name to be kept. It was just for the email. In this case the script saved to a temporary folder, emailed the PDF, then closing the file and reopened the original. 

You can get the temporary folder with the app.getPath() function.   

Here's an article that shows how to save a PDF from a script.

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/How-to-Save-a-PDF-2.cfm?sd=40

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of these solutions require installing a script on the local machine of the users. Can you do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines