Highlighted

SharePoint - Ability to change default open options

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default "open" option for Acrobat PDF files in a SharePoint Online site?

For example when a user clicks on a PDF file by default it will "Open in Adobe Document Cloud" - now this is just fine except sometimes a user wants to print but there isn't a print option - yes they can do a right click and choose the browser print option but shows extra info, etc.

Another option is to simply choose the "Open in browser" option - which then gives a proper print option - yes an extra step but works just fine.

Nothing urgent but just curious if someone has found a way to change that default open option in SharePoint Online.

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

SharePoint - Ability to change default open options

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default "open" option for Acrobat PDF files in a SharePoint Online site?

For example when a user clicks on a PDF file by default it will "Open in Adobe Document Cloud" - now this is just fine except sometimes a user wants to print but there isn't a print option - yes they can do a right click and choose the browser print option but shows extra info, etc.

Another option is to simply choose the "Open in browser" option - which then gives a proper print option - yes an extra step but works just fine.

Nothing urgent but just curious if someone has found a way to change that default open option in SharePoint Online.

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 08, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Whammers,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you want to change the default open option in SharePoint Online, is that correct?

As you are opening a pdf file in a sharepoint online site in a web browser, could you try contacting Microsoft and see what they have to suggest.

Thanks,

Shivam

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Shivam,

Sure I can reach out to Microsoft - thought I would try Adobe first since it is an Adobe integration into SharePoint.

Thanks!

Tammy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem and it comes from when the Adobe DC is enabled for SharePoint so I fail to see how it is Microsoft's problem. You change the default click behavior and insert "Adobe Document Cloud" for all users on a tenant, regardless if they have a license or an account. How am I supposed to manage licenses when everyone gets this when they just want to read a PDF?

We followed the guidelines below and setup specific groups and accounts for access yet it changed default browser behavior for everyone in the tenant.

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/document-cloud/help/office365-configuring-sharepoint-onedrive.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI - I came across this today - apparently the #2 most voted feature in the SharePoint UserVoice forum for Sites and Collaboration!   Hopefully it is resolved soon and wanted to share as there is another helpful workaround with mapping a drive.

Open Adobe PDF in client application – SharePoint Experiences in Office365 and/or SharePoint Server

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm what happens when you click on a pdf saved locally?

It might be solved by changing the file extension association in Windows Settings. I assume you use Windows

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0