Highlighted

Show / Hide functionality for Interactive PDF on iPad

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

As was announced Adobe will completely remove flash from Acrobat Reader by the end of the year and some functionalities will no longer work.

Now i'm working on a interactive PDF that has layers that can be shown and hidden with buttons. It works perfect on a desktop and I was expecting this to work on an iPad as (as far as I know) this features does not use flash.

Can someone please let me know why show / hide is not working on my iPad and if it's a flash issue and if show / hide atleast will remain working in the feature on desktop?

Also I would love to know if there is a list of functionalities that will work cross platform in the future that can be used within a interactive PDF. Still many of my clients want interactive documents and they want to be able to use these offline and crossplatform. So HTML5 is not a solution in this case.

Happy to hear if someone can help me with some info, especially about the Show/Hide function.

Cheers!

TOPICS
Create PDFs, How to, Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Show / Hide functionality for Interactive PDF on iPad

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

As was announced Adobe will completely remove flash from Acrobat Reader by the end of the year and some functionalities will no longer work.

Now i'm working on a interactive PDF that has layers that can be shown and hidden with buttons. It works perfect on a desktop and I was expecting this to work on an iPad as (as far as I know) this features does not use flash.

Can someone please let me know why show / hide is not working on my iPad and if it's a flash issue and if show / hide atleast will remain working in the feature on desktop?

Also I would love to know if there is a list of functionalities that will work cross platform in the future that can be used within a interactive PDF. Still many of my clients want interactive documents and they want to be able to use these offline and crossplatform. So HTML5 is not a solution in this case.

Happy to hear if someone can help me with some info, especially about the Show/Hide function.

Cheers!

TOPICS
Create PDFs, How to, Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to do with Flash... the mobile Reader apps have many limits, including a very small subset of JavaScript.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... even if it did work in Acrobat Reader, there is no way to change the default PDF reader, or the reader used in any browser or email app, on iPad. You are stuck with a different non-Adobe Reader unless you know how to install the app and send files to it. I don't think PDF is your solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. So if i'm understanding correctly. The show/ hide function that is offered by inDesign to use for interactive PDF's will remain working after flash is completely taken out? (for desktop that is).

Because that is the situation i'm in right now. Some clients want an App, others want an interactive PDF. But most of them accept the fact that some functions will not run on a tablet. But as changes will be made with Acrobat, I wanted to be sure that the show/hide function for desktops remain working. Otherwise I will already have to warn my clients that there files will not work after december and we need to look for a different solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't swear to how InDesign does it. However, InDesign 2020 completely removed support for Flash in PDFs, so if it still works when exported from 2020, then it shouldn't need Flash.

Have you looked at ebook formats? I don't know their capabilities, I suspect it too may be a can of worms...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Showing/hiding layers has nothing to do with Flash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use many product. iBooks, ePub, iPDF, HTML5 presentations and even Apps. The ebooks are nice, but also not always crossplatform usable or limited in features or not suitable for the client. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Vectar LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I knew it had nothing to do with flash, as you would normally get a message from Acrobat that flash is used, but as it wasn't running on iPad I was afraid that this might also become a feature that gets destroyed in the december update. But that is clear now. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0