Highlighted

Smooth scrolling through pages

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Acrobat X. I have noticed that with some PDF documents I can smoothly scroll from one page to the next.  That is, as I scroll I see the last part of one page and the first part of the next page, but they are definitely separate pages.  In other PDF documents, however, I cannot do this.  Instead, I can only see one complete page on the screen at a time.  When I scroll it simply jumps to the entire next page all at once.  In most cases my preference is the smooth scrolling behavior.  I assume the different behavior lies in how the PDF file was created.  Could someone please tell me what causes this difference?  I actually have the source code for a custom PDF file creator and I want to make sure I create PDFs with the smooth scrolling behavior.

Thanks,

Ray

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by gener7 | Adobe Community Professional

If the document is not locked from editing, do this in Acrobat X:

Ctrl D or File > Properties

Click on the Initial View tab  > and from the Page Layout drop-down menu,choose: Default or Single Page Continuous

Click OK, Close and Save the document to keep changes.

When you open the document, it should have the continuous scrolling you want.

You may want to  lock the document afterwards,if you do not want other Acrobat users tampering with the settings.

Topics

Create PDFs, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Smooth scrolling through pages

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Acrobat X. I have noticed that with some PDF documents I can smoothly scroll from one page to the next.  That is, as I scroll I see the last part of one page and the first part of the next page, but they are definitely separate pages.  In other PDF documents, however, I cannot do this.  Instead, I can only see one complete page on the screen at a time.  When I scroll it simply jumps to the entire next page all at once.  In most cases my preference is the smooth scrolling behavior.  I assume the different behavior lies in how the PDF file was created.  Could someone please tell me what causes this difference?  I actually have the source code for a custom PDF file creator and I want to make sure I create PDFs with the smooth scrolling behavior.

Thanks,

Ray

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by gener7 | Adobe Community Professional

Click on the Initial View tab  > and from the Page Layout drop-down menu,choose: Default or Single Page Continuous

You may want to  lock the document afterwards,if you do not want other Acrobat users tampering with the settings.

Topics

Create PDFs, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 27, 2012 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2012 1
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already tried this and it had no affect on any of my documents.  The ones that already scroll smoothly are not affected by changing the setting to "Single Page" and the ones that don't scroll smoothly are not affected by changing the setting to "Single Page Continuous".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2012 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you definitely are saving, CLOSING and reopening?  Does it help to change the settings under View > Page Display (which are NOT saved).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2012 2
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have been doing something wrong.  I tried it again by saving and reopening and it worked as desired.  It also worked by going to the View->Page Display and selecting Enable Scrolling.  Is there any way to have Acrobat always open documents in the scrolling mode rather than having to select it for each individual document?  Thanks a lot for all your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2012 4
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can set a default for page view/smooth scroll for all docs, but it will be just for your Acrobat Pro.

Edit > Edit Preferences (ctrl k) > Page Display

page display.png

Click OK and that will be the default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2012 1
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one that worked for me was written by Gener7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. I have used the Cntrl D procedure as well as changing the defaults to continuous scrolling in Preferences. I am using Windows 10 and have a high-end workstation, only a few months old, so the hardware is not at issue. This is crazy. How can it be so clunky?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me: Adobe Pro (9.x) View=>Page Display=>Single Page Continuous Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.009) View=>Page Display=>Enable Scrolling Neither of the documents I just tested are locked from editing (that I know of). Windows 10 OS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me: Adobe Pro (9.x) View=>Page Display=>Single Page Continuous Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.009) View=>Page Display=>Enable Scrolling Neither of the documents I just tested are locked from editing (that I know of). Windows 10 OSAdobe Screenshot.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
ashaeppa LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only this one works for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We see that this has been an ongoing issue and long-tailed.

We have tried to replicate this issue on our end. However, the issue cannot be reproduced in-house. That is why we need a few details for further investigation on this. It would be helpful if you can share the following information:

- Please share any sample PDF on which the issue can be reproduced.

- If possible, share the screen recording of the issue occurring on your end.

- Application (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html) and OS version used on the machine.

- If you are using the Windows machine, please collect the Process Monitor logs. Download the Process monitor tool from this link: https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatmonitor.html on your machine and run it. Then reproduce the issue and save the logs. Share the logs with us.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled across this thread looking for a setting to change this behaviour.  I look at a lot of PDF files daily and the pages are packed with information, including important header information.  When I scroll through documents, it seems like way more work than necessary to read information near the top and bottom margins of each page.  I believe it is specific to the document since I just loaded Reader and the welcome document scrolls fine in Reader and my Pro 2020 version.  I can also add that the files I am having issues with are converted from excel through the Adobe plugin.  So maybe it is a setting in the plug-in.  If so, it would be nice to fix existing PFDs.  It may also be affected that the page orientation is not the same for all pages.  Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue that is not entirely being addressed here is that CONTINUOUS SCROLLING can be chalged globally in PREFERENCES.  SMOOTH scrolling is not a global setting and most of the questions here are about SMOOTH scrolling.  As I recall, in preveious versions, it was a default.  Could be wrong, but I haven't had issues with SMOOTH scrolling until recently (last 12 months or so?).  So how do we make scrolling both CONTINUOUS and SMOOTH?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0