• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Submit Button not working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello l have tried to create a Submit Button for the first time and l believe l have followed all the right steps.

When l create the 'Submit Button' l go on the [OK] button on the Menu up top and I drag the rectangle over the area l wnat the 'Submit Button' to be.

Then 'Propreties' > 'Actions' > 'Submit a form'.  Then l go on 'Add', and on the field 'Enter a URL For this Link' I enter as below:

mailto:

Following the Column without spaces l add the email address.

Then l select 'PDF the complete document' > 'OKAY' > 'Close'.

It opens the window 'Default email application (mail), l press 'Continue'... but then it says

"An error occurred while trying to create a mail document. 

Adobe Acrobat is unable to complete your request. If you are not sure how to proceed further, you can save your form and return it manually using your Internet email service."

What is it that is not working?

Thank you so much for your support

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the exact version number of the application (You can find it out by going to Help - About Adobe Acrobat)? What's your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the most recent:

Acrobat Pro DC

and l m using iMac OS Catalina

So the system should be okay...

Any thoughts?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really don't like "recent" as an answer because often we find the problem is actually that things are out of date, and updates are failing.

So, please tell us the ACTUAL version number of your system (like 10.13.42) AND of Acrobat. For Acrobat we want something like 2016.123.23343.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I understand, so they are resprectively:

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2021.001.20149

iMac Catalina 10.15.6

Does this help?  Thank you so much!!...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving the form before you commit the email action through the button?

Have you tried to hardcode the email address via JavaScript instead and see if you get the same error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two thoughts on this, and the answer is "yes", i do save it.

My first thought it: when l save it i am not sure how to do it properly because is my first start with Acrobat, so l go Menu > Save As.  Is this the rght way to save?

And also, this is my other thought: I have reated the file on Illustrator, making the design graphicaly there, and becuae the form is very long i have started from an A$ and progressively l have elongated the height (probably double the length), and l think this should be irrelevant since l saved it as PDF, and as long as it's a PDF it shouldn't matter what software l use to create it from, or what lengh it has, right?

Lastly, l am not a coder l don't know aything about 'hardcoding' or 'Javascript', so the answer to that is "no" i am afraid.

Any thoughts from this?

Thank you SO much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS.  Sorry l was rushing and there are a few typos: created, and A4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yes, when you create a document for the first time, if you click on Save, it will still open up the option to "Save As" because a filename needs to be given to this document and it also needs to be saved to the disk to a folder (or directory path location) of your choice.

Subsequent "Save As" sequences are not necssary unless you want to save a copy of the original file with a different filename and to a new folder.

As far as the A4 document page format, and to continue to elongate the page dimensions like that, well that is not the appropriate workflow I'm afraid.

Also, If you're going to send this file via email as an atachment, be aware that Not all users have PDF viewers in their computers that may be able to handle such document type.

You can still create a document in "Letter" format. And even though the number of pages may become lengthier, you'll be rewarding the users of this PDF with  a much much better PDF viewing expetience.

You've also mentioned about running Acrobat Pro DC in macOS Catalina.

As far as I am concerned, I've read other posts in which users have similar issues.

Avoid using the Mac Preview file viewer when you're creating PDFs documents.

From what I've read before there seems to be a problem with the Preview program that ruins PDFs... but I may be wrong and not fully informed.

It would be helpful if you can share with us an example of this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this design choice will confuse and may completely lock out some users. For some people the whole form will open as a narrow strip, so tiny it's unreadable, and people may be unable to zoom. Just divide the PDF into pages, that's how it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached the PDF here.  Please be aware that the overall design is only a draft - but it should give the idea.

Only the first Field ('Name') is fillable, and the 'Submit Button' of course, being the function that doesn't work.

The Fillable Felds always work, is only the Submit function that doesnt work.

The file doesn't work neither from Acrobat or from Preview in my iMac Catalina, but also it doesn't work on another device either (an old iPad where l test it too).

Again, the file is degined on Illustrator.  However in response to the 'size' discussion, the resaon of it being stretched is because it is not uspposed to be sent to other recipients: one copy will only be used by me on my device, and another is supposed to be embedded on my website to become a stationary part of the site layout (no one will have to open it).  I hope this helps, please let me know if you need more information...   Thnak you ones more for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me, but on Windows and using a different version of Acrobat.

Why are you not specifying the target email address, though? Do you want the user to send it to whomever they want?

Also, never open the file with Preview. It will corrupt it immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.
I am glad to hear that on Windows is working, but still the Submit doesn’t work on all devices.

So how can ‘Submit’ not work on iMac Catalina and Preview, which are the top? 

I can’t even open it on an old iPad, so it’s still not functioning properly... and I wonder, if my customers use iMac (or preview) they can’t use the PDF, so it has to be fully functioning.

Now the question remains, how to make it work in all systems?

Thank you so much for your very much appreciated help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complaints about Preview should be directed to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview is not the top PDF viewer. When it comes to forms it is the absolute pits, because it damaged forms: you will get back empty forms, if you get anything at all. Of course, your users will use it. Your education/instructions to them MUST make clear how they need to proceed. This must be very clear and the user must be well monivated, as 90% will otherwise say, why should I download Acrobat Reader, I'll just use Preview. It's worse still on phones and tablets.

Indeed, why are you using PDF forms at all rather than HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your consistent spport.  It is important to be clear, yes absolutely.

Now going back to the nitty gritty, I still need to resolve the problen that Submit doesn't work.  It doesn;t work on iMac or iPodm and it needs to work 'everywhere'.  So, back to the question at the start, any help to make it work, please???

Thank you so much!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> it needs to work 'everywhere'

This is not currently possible, unfortunately. If this is a crucial requirement of your workflow then PDF forms are not the solution for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to employ the use of Adobe Sign in this type of workflow. It is already featured as an individual plan with your paid Adobe Acrobat Pro DC subscription.

You may need to upgrade to a an Adobe Sign business plan in order to be able to work around some of the things that you're inquiring about.

If this is something that may meet your requirements, See more about Adobe Sign here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all very much for your help!  I am very grateful indeed, l will have to find an alternative solution.

You've all been very supportive and l wish you all the best.  kind regards

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually l have another question, which l hven't mention before about another hiccup with the PDF Form:

When I tap into the Fillable Field to enter the text on my iPad, the document instantly scrolls automatcally all the way down to the bottom of the document.  In order to see what l am typing I have to scroll the document back up to the top manualy from there...  

I tried to save/edit the documetn in many ways, but it keeps doing this 'jump' to the bottom.

Do you have any idea, please? Thank you very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I forgot to mention:

iPod Mini 12.5.2

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean iPad Mini? 

iPod is an Apple music player device that was discontinued...

As far as the hardware part, If your device has any type of Bluetooth device attached to it, like a keyboard with a mouse pad, or a separate mouse device, I would change the batteries (if it requires the use of batteries of course), inspect the keyboard or mouse for defects, like a key that is not released, or needs cleaning.

On the software part, I would simply force a manual update of the software, or uninstall and reinstall the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry my typos are challenging the read (sorry for the rush).

It's an iPad Mini.

So there are no separate part as it's an iPad; I have done a new Software update just before trying to open the PDF document, and it skips the document right down the page... every field's entry so that didn't help.

What else coud it be? 

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"So there are no separate part as it's an iPad"

Oh yes there is!

1. Did you install the Acrobat Reader app to your iPad?

2. Did you SEND the file you want to fill to the Acrobat Reader app (it cannot change what other apps do, like Safari, which uses Apple's broken, Preview-like form handling or worse).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines