• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly Office 2019 apps can't create Adobe PDF (PDFMaker)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

I don't recall any updates other than from Black Tuesday recently but suddenly the Create PDF button, or any of the buttons shown in the Acrobat tab on any of the Office 2019 app's on my Windows 10 computer, produces a PDFMaker error.

The popup window, when any of the buttons under the Acrobat tab is selected, says:

"Unable to find Adobe PDF resource files. 

Acrobat PDF Maker

You must have Administrator priveilges to install these files. Please contact your local system administrator."

I have tried the following but no change:

1. Checked the Add-in option in Office 2019 and make sure PDFMaker COM is activated & loaded
  2. Update (no update available) Acrobat Pro 2017
  3. Repair Acrobat Pro 2017
  4. From Control Panel, went to Change the Acrobat Pro 2017 installation features by making the feature to Create PDF unavailable, start an Office 2019 app to make sure the Acrobat tab is gone, reboot, and Change so the Create PDF is Control Panel make the feature to Create PDF is installed on the local drive
  5. Tried both Standard user and Administrator profiles
  6. Checked Event Logs
  7.  Checked that the files are acutally there in c:\program files (x86)\adobe\acrobat 2017\PDFMaker\Office

Next step I'm thinking is uninstall & reinstall of Acrobat Pro 2017. Anything else I can try before that?

I did observe that the popup window when any button is selected from the Acrobat tab in an Office 2019 app has a typo when they mispelled "priviliges" ...

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Hi all,

Thank you for reaching out. This issue is known to us and we are working towards the fix. 
Sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

We have found users who are experiencing this issue are missing Microsoft Runtime VC++ from the machine, please use this link: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe to install this version of runtime on the machine. This is required for this feature to work. If this doesn't help to fix the issue immediately after the installation, please reboot your machi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple users are experiencing the same error immediatly after the Feb 09 update was applied.  We tried the AcroCleaner tool to completely uninstall all associated files from Windows & once the Feb 09 Update was is installed again the same PDF Maker error displayes again.  https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

Winows 10
Office Pro 2019
Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 (Fully Licensed)

PDFMaker-Excel2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much @JW_IT! You saved me further grief as torubleshooting took some time. Now wqwith the answer below, I'm glad they are working on a resolution! Thank you again. Power of the community at best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

This is a known issue with the latest version and the team is working on the fix.

We will update you once the fix will be available.

We appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Deleted User - good to know Adobe is aware.

I/we will wait.

Do you have an ETA or how high this issue is on the Adobe issue tracking/resolving priority?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for reaching out. This issue is known to us and we are working towards the fix. 

We have found users who are experiencing this issue are missing Microsoft Runtime VC++ from the machine, please use this link: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe to install this version of runtime on the machine. This is required for this feature to work. If this doesn't help to fix the issue immediately after the installation, please reboot your machine once and try again.

Let us know how this work for you. Thank you for your patience and for reporting this to us.

~Tariq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the follow up on this issue Tariq.  The recommended fix of installing the provided Microsoft Runtime VC++ & computer restart has resolved this on our Windows 10 computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We used the following switches to install the executable quietly and without forcing a restart: 
vc_redist.x64.exe /q /passive /norestart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't install it because of the version I have already... has there been a fix to this? I really miss the "save as a adobe PDF" I don't have that anymore... I've tried all the things online and I don't have the addin anymore iut's just gone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Which Acrobat and Office version are you using? 

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I belileve I'm using the latest versions?

I installed using office setup and then I installed acrobat using the adobe creative cloud.

*** This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain privileged information or confidential information or both. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and delete the message. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Matthew28833364umby,

Can you give us the details of the Acrobat version you have? Looking for the full build number, such as 2022.xxx.xxxx as shown in the how-to instructions in this blog https://www.pubcom.com/blog/software-versions/index.shtml

Because your Acrobat is via the Creative Cloud, you're on the continuous subscription, which is an annual subscription fee with free updates. It also has "DC" document cloud in its name.

Check your version against Adobe's releases here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html  I often   have to update Acrobat from Acrobat's Help menu; for some reason, trying to update it through Creative Cloud just doesn't work anymore.

Also check that your version of MS Office is up to date, too. The 2 programs work in tandem.

One other check: PDF Maker is a plug-in to MS Office apps, and sometimes it's not automatically activated in Word. From MS Word, go to File / Add-ins and make sure PDF Maker is active.

OK, one final check: from inside MS Word, do you see the Acrobat "ribbon" tab at the top of the screen? That's PDF Maker with a full set of options for creating PDFs. It's similar as File / Save As Adobe PDF but with more choices and settings for different types of PDFs. The Acrobat ribbon should be there if the plus-in/Add-in is active.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This issue has been resolved in latest Acrobat 2017 patch. Please go to Help > Check for Updates to get the latest patch.

Thanks
Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanvi. Went to Help -> Check for updates and there were no update found. It reports back 17.011.30194. Is there a newer patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines