• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tagged content removed after fonts changed

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After tagging content and ensuring the accessibility checker passed all of the checks, I went through the document using Edit PDF to change the fonts. As I did this, it removed the content from the tags. I expect to use the correct fonts AND have an accurately tagged document, but that doesn't seem possible with the numerous things I've tried. Is there a way to do both, or do I only get one or the other?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to work around this by manually retagging the entire document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You encountered one of Acrobat's tragic flaws: once a document is tagged, no edits of any kind can be made to the content. If anything is changed, such as correct a typo or edit the text, change the color of some text, change the fonts used...whatever, the tags lose their content containers (the yellow bankers' boxes in the tag tree).

Change your workflow. Ensure all content is correct and finalized before making the PDF. And don't edit it once the PDF is tagged!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have discovered the same issue with using the "edit" funtion...it destroys all the compliant tags. This didn't used to happen. We always try to make the source file perfect before exporting to PDF. But, there are some last-minute edits that may require an edit within the PDF. If this isn't possible, why even HAVE the EDIT function?? 

Really disappointed in Adobe that you would say "change your workflow." How about "Adobe should FIX the EDIT function so it doesn't destroy the perfectly compliant TAGs." Seriously.

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MaryHelenShuff  This is a user-to-user forum. Although Adobe manages it, Adobe employees rarely chime in. The rest of us here are unpaid volunteers, trying to help our fellow workerbees.

The titles you see like "Adobe Community Professional" only mean that Adobe thinks we're experts in something and invited us to work for free in this forum to help others.

I said "Change your workflow," not Adobe. Please read posts carefully before responding.

This problem with content disappearing from tags (and other issues, BTW, like combining all <LI> in a list into just one <LI>) has been happening since Adobe added tags and editing tools to PDF in the early 2000s. Note that the PDF/UA-1 accessibility standard wasn't even developed until years later, in 2012.

I recommend all my clients (government, corporate, designers, individuals) to adjust their workflow because I don't see this problem getting fixed any time soon. Many reasons (all are IMHO):

1. Adobe has no financial incentive to do this. I'm estimating only about 5-10% of PDFs created must meet accessibility standards. And Adobe's marketing department (which decides what features will be in our software) doesn't appear to give a rat's patootie about accessibility for 1/3 of the world's population. They want to market shiny new widgets, not bug fixes.
  2. As a former PDF programmer going far back to the program's development 30+ years ago, this is a tough nut to crack. I don't see a reasonable fix any time in the near future, even if Adobe wanted to fix the problem.

So plan on 3 things:

• You and I will be retired before this bug gets fixed.  IF it gets fixed.
  • PDF will be retired and superceded by some other file format in the future, before it gets fixed.
  • We all have to adjust our workflows for the reality we have now, so ALL edits must be done in the source document and a new, nearly fully compliant PDF exported.

One of the key ways to get Adobe to fix something is through UserVoice. Note that Adobe works according to the number of votes these requests get from customers, so VOTE UP THIS FEATURE if you want it fixed. https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/36540487-bug-edi...

Our firm keeps a running list of accessibility features/votes for InDesign, Acrobat, and MS Word at www.PubCom.com/vote  You're welcome to visit it to quickly find the features you want (and therefore, votes will be consolidated at UserVoice, helping all of us get the features we need).

In peace and solidarity,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your input. My enterprise has reached out to Adobe and their technical support is looking into it.

I'm fully aware of what this forum is for and I'm using it as such.

Without being intending any rudness, can you stop lecturing me in all of my posts? Thanks in advance.

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not intended to be rude as well, but you've posted several times re: accessibility, and all accessibility-related posts are flagged for me.

We ACPs are encouraged to make sure threads are usable not just for the original poster, but to the long-term community for future users of the forum. In that respect, we tend to explain things so that the posts can have a long shelf-life for everyone, not just for you.

The thread had some gaps of details about accessibility, and I filled them in. Of course, that's with no offense to you or any other poster.

We're trying to create the most accurate body of knowledge here for use by everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Edit in Acrobat with a tagged PDF is a trainwreck unfortunately. So is adjusting the Reading Order. Sigh…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"VOTE UP THIS FEATURE if you want it fixed"

It's a rigged vote!  😉

Even once logged in I cannot vote, the "Vote" button does nothing at all.

Capture_155.png

Capture_154.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines