Highlighted

Tagged form fields - failed, Found work around. What is happening behind scenes?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.  I'm hoping you can explain what is happening behind the scenes and why this method works when it seems it should be unnecessary.

Specifications:

1 page pdf form

• 9 fields
  • 1 Signature Field
  • 1 simple table, 7x6
    • Table has summary
    • each cell contains 1 field
  • ALL fields were created manually, in tab order using the Prepare Form tools.
  • ALL fields have a unique Properties Name and a Tooltip.
  • One graphic logo, with alternate text.

Preview of the form shows all fields working correctly and tabbing in the correct order.

The Accessibility Full Check returns:

• Tagged annotations - Failed
  • Tab order - Failed
  • Tagged form fields - Failed order
    • Expanding the error reveals ALL fields as failed.

Work Around

1. Accessibility menu item Autotag Document
  2. Rerun Accessibility Full Check
    1. Lose Alt text on graphic logo - right click Figures alternate text-Failed --> Fix and retype alternate text for logo.
    2. Lose Table summary - Click Accessibility Reading Order, Right Click TH tag on table, Edit Table Summary --> retype table summary
  3. Rerun Accessibility Full Check
    1. Returns a clean report.
  4. Double check field names:  Prepare Form Tool
    1. All field names are unchanged.  Tab order unchanged.

Can anyone tell me why I had to go through the work around to get a clean accessibility report?  Why didn't Adobe recognize my field names and tabbing order in the first place?

TOPICS
PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Tagged form fields - failed, Found work around. What is happening behind scenes?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.  I'm hoping you can explain what is happening behind the scenes and why this method works when it seems it should be unnecessary.

Specifications:

1 page pdf form

• 9 fields
  • 1 Signature Field
  • 1 simple table, 7x6
    • Table has summary
    • each cell contains 1 field
  • ALL fields were created manually, in tab order using the Prepare Form tools.
  • ALL fields have a unique Properties Name and a Tooltip.
  • One graphic logo, with alternate text.

Preview of the form shows all fields working correctly and tabbing in the correct order.

The Accessibility Full Check returns:

• Tagged annotations - Failed
  • Tab order - Failed
  • Tagged form fields - Failed order
    • Expanding the error reveals ALL fields as failed.

Work Around

1. Accessibility menu item Autotag Document
  2. Rerun Accessibility Full Check
    1. Lose Alt text on graphic logo - right click Figures alternate text-Failed --> Fix and retype alternate text for logo.
    2. Lose Table summary - Click Accessibility Reading Order, Right Click TH tag on table, Edit Table Summary --> retype table summary
  3. Rerun Accessibility Full Check
    1. Returns a clean report.
  4. Double check field names:  Prepare Form Tool
    1. All field names are unchanged.  Tab order unchanged.

Can anyone tell me why I had to go through the work around to get a clean accessibility report?  Why didn't Adobe recognize my field names and tabbing order in the first place?

TOPICS
PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 15, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same troubles. I create a form using Acrobat Pro DC 2020.012. I use Acrobat's form creater. Each field has a unique name and tool tip completed. Yet, it fails when I run the accessibility checker. Having to make the form accessible using the Touch-up Reading order tool is a pain when I set the form up right in the first place. Has anyone fould a fix. Or can Adobe please fix the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot more steps to make an accessible AcroForm than what you describe.

What's the exact error that Acrobat's accessibility checker is flagging?

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0
KimDP21 LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the form from an InDesign file that was exported as a PDF. I open the PDF using Acrobat Pro DC and used the Prepare Form to start the process. I applied all the appropriate field properties.  I can send the form if you would like.

I have been creating accessible forms for several years and haven’t had this problem. This issue has been going on since the last two updates. I have fixed them manually within the Accessibility checker when I only had a few fields. This form has 117 fields. I really don’t want to have to do them manually. As a workaround, I am sending the form to my colleague who has the CommonLook application. I am on a Mac OS 10.15.7. CommonLook currently does not make the application for a Mac. My hope is you can find a solution so I can complete my work using Adobe products.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0