• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TECH LOST DELTED MY FILES....

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tech took control of my laptop..and lost or deleted my Book files, over 4 yrs of work and very costly...does not appear to be in the recycle bin..but he nor I can find it..customer service had been giving me the run-around and ignoring me..what should, can I do?

Benny The Boss
TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where?  he lost them all he asked to delete I said no..he said in the cloud..now it's gone... I searched my pc..and I only had the copy I was still editing...

Benny The Boss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your backup software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where? I looked everywhere, but not in the cloud nor seems the recycle bin?

Benny The Boss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files that are permanently deleted from your hard disk and/or creative cloud storage cannot be recovered if that's what you're asking.

Did you contact Adobe technical support?  If yes, what is the Adobe case number from your session?

If not an Adobe technical support agent, then who did you contact? 

Responsible computer owners have backup recovery systems like Backblaze, AWS or DropBox where copies of files are stored on dedicated cloud servers each night.  If you don't know where your backup files are located, I'm sure nobody here does either. 

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a few copies..1 in c / files documents...and in adobe....he told me he was gonna delete after putting in the cloud, I said no, he did it anyway, he admits in a saved chat log, he did not make sure it was saved...they have been jerking me around for 5 days..I've made 6 calls...5 live chats..and been promised a phone call since day 1 they lose or deleted my books files, 188 pages, over 3 yrs of work...I can't run my website now to sell my book etc..does anyone know how I can get a higher-up?

Benny The Boss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Adobe Case number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case ADB-14329786-H2D2 CRM:00997000008938

Benny The Boss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever email it to yourself or someone else (like an editor)? Did you ever back it up to a separate physical drive (like a USB stick)? In what application did you create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you normally save your files?  

I'm wondering if tech support made a new Creative Cloud Files folder and renamed the old one something like old-Creative Cloud files or Creative Cloud Files-backup.  Definitely worthy of a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank u..I will look but I doubt it..I was on the phone with them over 2 hrs today...

Benny The Boss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few observations.

How do you know if the first person who handle your tech support call was actually a Customer Service rep and not a scammer?  Did you tell this person about the book you were trying to sell before you gave them access to your computer?

In which operating system did the data loss occured: MS Windows or macOS ( and version)?

Did you checked if some or all of your PDFs are still avaialble in the Document Cloud?

Do you know how to use data recovery software? Below are a few open source (free ) alternatives:

WORD OF ADVICE: The next time that you reach out for a tech support service,  know that it is not a requirement to give control of your PC to anyone. The tech guy can direct you over the phone on what to do. It is always your choice ; you're the paying customer and noone should coerce you in doing so.

That's why they ask first (even though they already see everything you do)...they just need to have you say it for the record over the chat or phone, so it becomes your sole responsibility if they mess your system up....

Because you said "yes' , bear in mind that it basically  equates  to acknowledging;  "I consent! and I don't even care what you do to my computer as long as you fix my problem... because I also don't care about ever taking some time to  read the fine print of the terms of service, disclaimers, and licensing stipulations (or penalties/infringements) for each and  every freaking commercial software that I ( and ONLY  MYSELF)  wanted to install in my computer box (just like a little gulibble child opens presents on Christmas without even caring what's inside the box"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your backups. If you don't make backups, then this was pretty much inevitable, since computers fail, or are stolen, or disks fail, or mistakes are made every day. Treat this as a valuable lesson in looking after your data. No, of course support shouldn't delete files, but fixing any kind of issue might have unexpected side effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They claim they did make a backup, though, to the Adobe Cloud... According to them the Adobe tech agent deleted both copies. If that's truly the case, then it's extremely serious, bordering on criminal, IMO. A tech agent should never delete any files permanently from a user's computer, especially not documents. What would be the reason for doing it in the first place? How does it help solving any issues? It's very suspicious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines