Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

text direction gets changed

New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried to look for answers for my issue below. Couldn't find

I am creating a pdf where my text goes like this "123 (test)" ..but when i type the text it reverses automatically to "(test) 123" . i tried my best to fix this but it doesn't work. I also tried a simple number test like this '123 456 789' . instead it displays '789 456 123'. Can somebody provide me a solution?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Thank you Zaid Al Hilali​!

I think the problem is resulted the the OS Language/Regional Settings on the Windows PC.

On my personal Laptop (Windows 10), I have set Arabic Language based settings in several places. However, the main UI is English. If I remember correctly, such settings are in Regional Options or something like that.

On my Work PC (Windows 7), there is no problem, and all such related Languages settings are based on English.

All other Acrobat settings/preferences are exactly the same o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this is very unusual you need to describe in detail what you are doing and the software, system and fonts you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know its unusual ...but im trying this for the first time since I'm a beginner and just bought a license 2 weeks back...

adobe acrobat pro dc version 2017.009.20044..windows 7.. font for the text  - arial...

What i am doing exactly is described in the issue- i am just typing a normal text after opening a blank document under create pdf...its the same when i try to edit an existing pdf too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, thank you for the version. Unfortunately because you are new to the product you don't realise just how many different ways there are to do things, how many similar tools. You say you are "typing a normal text". Is this a fill in form? An existing PDF that is not a form? A blank file you made? What tool did you use? Imagine we've never seen the software and please tell us exactly what you click, what you type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another question too, it may seem strange. Hebrew and Arabic. Is this a computer or software with either language? Is the PDF using either language? (Please answer the other question too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your reply

I live in Kuwait.

will that have anything to do with this? yeah Arabic is involved at times..I'm not sure what or how to check/change the particular settings for this? the screenshot u see here is what i am doing exactly,

Steps to reproduce this issue

1) go to start, open adobe acrobat dc.

2)once its opened click on tools -> create pdf -> blank page(last option as seen in the first image)

3)click on edit pdf (it appears on the right side) and u get the tool bar as shown in the second image.

4) add text and i just typed '123 456' but the image shows how it appeared.

1.png

this is just a screenshot to show the product how it looks like.  pdf pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good that Test Screen Name​ thought about language.

You may try by changing "paragraph direction" in the Language preferences…

Paragraph-Directions-Acrobat.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it worked on my Mac, did you try to change language settings to be similar to mine above?

Acrobat-RTL-prefs.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing exactly the same problem with Acrobat DC... did you manage to solve this problem?

Tarek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marhaba Tarek, I don't have a problem with Acrobat, check my post # 8 above were I posted a "solution", well at least I think it's a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Zaid Al Hilali​!

I think the problem is resulted the the OS Language/Regional Settings on the Windows PC.

On my personal Laptop (Windows 10), I have set Arabic Language based settings in several places. However, the main UI is English. If I remember correctly, such settings are in Regional Options or something like that.

On my Work PC (Windows 7), there is no problem, and all such related Languages settings are based on English.

All other Acrobat settings/preferences are exactly the same on both personal laptop and work PC.

Following is the main place where I need to verify. Below is snapshot of my Work PC Regional and Language Settings for System Locale. When I am back home, I will try to play around with such configurations to see if this will make a difference. This includes Format, Location, Keyboards and Languages, and Administrative.

Regards,

Tarek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marhaba Tarek… You're welcome.

Interesting you mentioned all these variables. I shall do some more testing on a Windows machine because Acrobat on Mac behaves well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Zaid ...

The issue can be easily reproduced. Just open Acrobat DC, open any static PDF, use Edit PDF, add text, and type the following:

123 456

When you add space after "123" the text direction/orientation is messed up. I think the Windows version locale has a lot to do with this issue. I will compare Windows and Acrobat related setting on both PCs to find out what is the difference, and try to pinpoint the option(s) that will cause this issue to happen.

Tarek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My test on Windows 10 didn't show this issue either. Perhaps there are other elements involved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  did you ever get a resolution to this problem?  I'm having the same issue. I am in the US, I've set all the fonts to left to right.  I'm running Windows 10 and Acrobat 2017. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello every one, hope this post finds you well,

it's my first time to post here!

After searching and trying to change adobe settings and preferences, I found the solution for this issue, which worked on my device, although having the system language arabic: Win10, adobe ver. 2020,

try to apply all these preferences on your application,

لقطة الشاشة 2021-01-09 220514.jpg

After so, you can select the text you are typing or editing, then right click --> change text writing direction --> right to left, or your what suits you.

لقطة الشاشة 2021-01-09 221009.jpg

That's it,

Thank You,

BASEL J TOMAN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. This problem has been annoying me for a very long time.

Interestingly, when I right click to change the text direction, it is set as Left-to-right. Only if I switch the selected text to Right-to-Left and then swich it back to Left-to-right does it show properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tarek, that worked for me, it seems that due to the accounting system to supports Arabic, the system admin had to add arabic as a regional, once change it back to US english, every thing went back to normal again.

you have no idea how much i suffered from this issue.

god bless you

regards,

Abdullah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the tips!  The same thing happened to me in Adobe Photoshop CS and I'm only using English language settings.  The solution for me was:

> add the "Character" panel (Type > Panels > Character Panel)

> click on the small "pancakes" icon in the top-right corner of the "Character" panel window

> select "Middle Easter Features"

> select "Left-to-Right Character Direction"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines