• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on pdf disappearing using the Text feature when using the Comment tool?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help solve this?  When I'm trying to comment on a pdf using the Text feature, the comment shows up on the pdf AND in the comment section on the right as I'm typing, but then disappears on the pdf after it get out of the Text feature.  The comment is still visible in the right comment section and appears back on the document if I hover my curser over the invisible area where the text should be and double click there, then it pops back up and I can edit it, but the actual text doesn't stay visible on the document.  This has somehow changed on me in the last 3 days as I use the text feature all the time and have never come across the text appearing invisible on a pdf before.  Do I need to adjust a setting somewhere??  Very frustrating.  I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2019.010.20098 on a macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Note- when I use the Text Box feature it is working normally and the text stays on the pdf, but I don't always want the box around the text as the Text Box feature is made.

[Moderator moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Editing & Exporting PDFs .]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

I've edited the comment for you in the attached version of this file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iYVI79j3R85Mlhe6cg1Xl4Y9yVJV5NJG

Open it and then try the last part of my instructions, at least. That way you will change the default and could add new comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see a new comment added to the Comments List panel after that happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the comment is there on the panel, but not on the document.  See my 3 screenshots and how the text visibility changes...

Screenshot 2019-03-20 13.47.25.png

Screenshot 2019-03-20 13.47.10.png

Screenshot 2019-03-20 13.46.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is you've somehow changed the properties of the text so that it's transparent, or white.

If you double-click into the comment using the same tool, does the text appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the same thing happens.  I thought maybe I did the same thing you suggested (made the text white or transparent or even the text "fill" colour white or something) but I have no idea how to modify it.  Where do I modify the properties of the text?  I feel like I've clicked on every option trying to sort this out and I can't find what I'm looking for to change the text property back to how it used to be.  Thanks for your help trouble shooting this try67!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file with these comments? Upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe DC, etc., and post the link to it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the sample from my screenshot.

Dropbox - PDF TEST.pdf

Also worth mentioning is that when I go in and edit the text on an old pdf where the text is visible it works fine.  But if I try to add a new text comment on that same doc, it goes invisible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text does become visible if you click into the box several times.

I don't know how you did it, but you've set the comment as transparent.

To undo it press Ctrl+J to open the JavaScript Console window, then click on the comment in the comments list so that it's selected, and paste the following code into the Console:

this.selectedAnnots[0].opacity = 1;

Then press Ctrl+Enter.

That should make the selected one visible.

Now to change the default setting right-click the comment (again, from the list) and select Properties and then tick the Make Properties Default box and click OK. That should take care of it for any new comments you create from then on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working but I think it's bc Ctrl+Enter may not be the right thing for me to press on my computer after the code is pasted?

I only think this bc for me to open the JavaScript console it wasn't Ctrl+J, it was Option(Alt)+Command+C instead.  (I found it in the Develop tab and opened it from there, the shortcut is shown beside it).  I tried a few options after pasting the code but the text still didn't appear.  See me screenshot.  Thank you again for helping me!!!  Let me know what you think I should do next!

Screenshot 2019-03-21 09.57.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not it. It's Ctrl+J (or Cmd+J on a Mac). However, if you're using Reader then that's not going to work. I thought you had Acrobat but I see now that you don't. In that case it is more complicated to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited the comment for you in the attached version of this file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iYVI79j3R85Mlhe6cg1Xl4Y9yVJV5NJG

Open it and then try the last part of my instructions, at least. That way you will change the default and could add new comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!!!!!!  You are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  THANK YOU for solving this!!!  It is fixed back to normal now!  I tested my other pdf's as well, everything works like it used to!  I am SO grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot 2019-03-21 14.14.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first time ever using a forum for help with anything, you have been SO helpful.  Is there somewhere I can leave you a review!?  How do I let the Adobe people how awesome you are!???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure... Maybe here? Forum comments

It's not really necessary, though, but I appreciate the thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wrote in and nominated you to be on the Wall of Fame at this link Wall of Fame

You're the best.  Thanks so much again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there !

I have exactly the same problem but I can't find any instructions on the file. Maybe I didn't understand correctly where to find them (I'm not a native English speaker).

Could you help please ?

Many thanks !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who may have trouble too, I was able to solve it with the discussion below :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/add-text-comment-disappears-when-clicking-away-from-te...

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also followed your advice of downloading the first aid kit pdf and setting your comment to the default settings.

Unfortunately, all of my comments are now authored by "angie" and both the author box and locked checkbox are greyed out. Do you know how I can fix this?

defaultsml2jtooho01_0-1616871542530.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also used your file to fix the same issue, thank you kindly Master try67 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!! This worked for me. Thank you so much!!

The crazy thing is this was not only happening on my computer but on all the computers I signed into!! It was very frustrating so thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this issue this week. I am still using Windows 7 and Adobe Acrobat DC. Yesterday I followed instructions above and it worked for one document all others it did not. After I press Ctrl+Enter I get:

ReferenceError: His is not defined

1:Console:Exec

undefined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this fix! It did work for me, however I can't figure out how to fix this globally. I have to go through these steps every single time I open a document even if I've ticked the box to make properties default. It happens on both of my computers. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you masked man, whoever you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, 

I've had this issue in Acrobat Pro for several weeks and came across this thread. It worked perfectly. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines