Highlighted

Text or Watermark ONLY when document is printed (with printed date!)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

Wondering if it is possible to set up some sort of text or watermark that ONLY displays when the document is printed, that has the current date? in my profession, we have controlled documents that are updated from time to time. Employees print these documents occasionally, so i'm trying to add something along the lines of "DOCUMENT WAS UPDATED (DD/MM/YY), DOCUMENT PRINTED (CURRENT DD/MM/YY)" Is this possible as a hidden watermark or something to that affect?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text or Watermark ONLY when document is printed (with printed date!)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

Wondering if it is possible to set up some sort of text or watermark that ONLY displays when the document is printed, that has the current date? in my profession, we have controlled documents that are updated from time to time. Employees print these documents occasionally, so i'm trying to add something along the lines of "DOCUMENT WAS UPDATED (DD/MM/YY), DOCUMENT PRINTED (CURRENT DD/MM/YY)" Is this possible as a hidden watermark or something to that affect?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 28, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a form text field which is only visible on the printout.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i go about this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a print-only text field (call it "PrintInfo", for example), and then add the following code under Tools - JavaScripts - Set Document Actions - Document Will Print:

this.getField("PrintInfo").value = "DOCUMENT WAS UPDATED " + util.printd("dd/mm/yy", this.info.ModDate) + ", DOCUMENT PRINTED " + util.printd("dd/mm/yy", new Date());

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 1
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it works great I used the following:

his.getField("PrintInfo").value = "THIS IS A CONTROLLED DOCUMENT VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE PRINTED" + ", DOCUMENT PRINTED " + util.printd("mm/dd/yy", new Date());

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to use a script to populate the print-only text file with the current date, just before the file is printed.

You can also populate it with the file's modification date, if you wish.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 1