Exit

The page numbers change when I convert the document from word to pdf

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I try to convert a word document to pdf two problems arise:

1) The page numbers change (it's different from the original word document)
2) That tables that exist at the end of the word document aren't rendered properly when converted to a pdf as can be seen from the picture below.

screenshot.png

Originally it looks like this (in the word document) :

screenshot.png

You'll notice that the page number changed in the pdf and it caused the table to be messed up!

I've tried the following:

The document has hyperlinks

1) converting the word to a pdf (best for printing) the pages are the same and it's the exact same copy but the hyperlinks and the hyper table of contents doesn't work at all.
2) When I convert it for a pdf (best for electronic distribution) it keeps the links working but the problems above appear (with the tables and the page numbers).

I want the pdf to be exactly like the original word document with working hyperlinks.

Please, I really need help with this, I've been trying for weeks to make it work and I still have the same issue.

(I am on Mac OS 10.13.6, using Word for mac version 16.21, and using Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat pro DC)

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

You're not creating the file using Adobe software. The "Save As PDF" command is an internal Word function. Reader is just displaying the file. So you should ask your question in a MS forum, unless you have reason to believe Word is creating a good file but Reader is not displaying it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monaa,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you are converting the Word document to PDF, would you please let us know the exact steps you do to create PDF?

Would it be possible to share the document with us? You may share the file either here in the forum or in a private message. How Do I Send Private Message

As you cannot attach the file in the Forum reply, please take help of the steps mentioned here How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

As you are using the Adobe Acrobat DC, share the exact version of the application.

To check the application version, use the steps mentioned in this help document Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Here are the exact steps:

Once I open the word document I do the following:

1) From File > Save as

2) In the tab that says "File Format," I choose pdf
3) Then I choose "Best of Electonic Distribution and accessibility"

4) Then I click export

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC :
Continuous Release, Version 2019.10.20069.311970

As to the file:

I've sent you a private msg with the link to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not creating the file using Adobe software. The "Save As PDF" command is an internal Word function. Reader is just displaying the file. So you should ask your question in a MS forum, unless you have reason to believe Word is creating a good file but Reader is not displaying it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's the case. Because I did the same with  Acrobat Pro DC  (2019.10.20069.311970) and Adobe Document Cloud

and the created pdf had the exact same problem.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) uploaded the word doc to the cloud

2) Checked the file and then create pdf

As I stated the result was the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever receive a response as to how to fix this problem? I've got the same issue and have a workaround, but I shouldn't have to use a workaround with the latest software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the original screen captures that were posted, it looks like the text could have reflowed at the time the PDF conversion was taking place.

In other words, something caused 2 more pages to be created than the original layout in MS Word. Could have been a page or column break in the file, or simply an extra spacebar or punctuation (like a period).

To determine if this is the cause, compare the 2 files page by page, starting at the beginning. Look at each page of the exported PDF next to each page of the Word file and see where, at what point, the text reflowed.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you guys found a solution to this common problem? I am working on a Table of Contents and the numbering keep changing as soon as I try to PDF the document. I already tried all the suggestions posted here, but none worked. Any  other suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with Word, not with Acrobat. Check the page size of the document and the printer's page size. I'm sure they are different.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, hope it helps.

I fixed my problem by going to the top menu "Acrobat" -"Preferences"- deactivate "Convert Document Information"

explination.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but it didn't work for me. I'm working on a Table of Contents, and the page numbering on the table keeps changing as soon as I try to PDF the document :'( .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. I create a batch of docments, several of which have sections including tables of contents. the two lengthy documents get page numbers off when past page 25 or so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines