• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the program crashes when i try to make a reduced pdf

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat crashes when i try to make a reduced pdf.

i have used both Save as: reduced file size

and

Save as other: reduced size pdf

it has worked ok a couple of times, but more often than not the program closes itself.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Simonbdoc,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Acrobat is crashing while reducing a PDF, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, restart the machine after installing updates.

Try resetting the preferences of Acrobat, to reset the preferences refer to How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Try repairing the Acrobat from help>repair installation(only for Windows), reboot the machine after repairing the Acrobat.

If the issue still persists, please share the following details:

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am working on a newly reinstalled version of the program.

mac

version 2018.011.20038

crashes on attempt to reduce any pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Simonbdoc,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please install the latest patch of Adobe Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating the Acrobat and see if this brings any difference.

You can also download and install the latest patch of Acrobat from DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

let us know how it goes with the latest update.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue with the latest version of Acrobat, i have also installed the latest patch. when i go to reduce a file it closes the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and the problem persists after installing the latest patch. Resetting Acrobat DC (with removing the preferences folder solution) also doesn't solve the problem. The program starts with the progress of reducing the file size but around 60% of the progress it crashes without a warning.

I use it to reduces PDF files created with AutoCAD LT with and without rasterimages on them. Since a week or two it crashes with whatever PDF file I feed it.

I'm on continuous release version 2020.009.20074

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m having the same issue when reducing size from a PDF file created with Adobe Illustrator 2020. Did you find any solution?

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, whenever I try to reduce a file size using either File>Save as Other>Reduced Size PDF or File>Reduce File Size the program will crash and close.

I'm using Windows 10

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Version 2020.009.20074

I tried Help>Repair Installation but that didn't make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and I'm on Mac. 

Is there any update on a solution here yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same trouble for a couple of days now.  I'd love to know what the fix is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem for a long time, now.  I did all the suggested fixes and nothing.  (Side complaint) I wish there was an alternative to adobe, any time I try to use a feature the app prompts me to pricing for an upgrade and yet I can't do this simplest function with what I'm paying for.  It is totally unclear what features are included for 180$/year. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new installed program, Adobe Pro 2020 for Windows 10. 
The very first thing I tried was reducing the size of a file and ... crash crash crash crash.  I have separated the file into two, and it did it again. This is so obnoxious!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also been having trouble optimizing databooks recently, and I noticed it was just recent submissions from one vendor. I split one of the databooks up, and optimized one piece at a time. I was able to optimize some but not one piece. I split the problematic part again into several files, and was again able to optimize all but one. I finally narrowed it down to one page that the vendor recently added to their databook template. I don't know why this one page causes the optimization to fail, but I removed it and was able to now optimize the whole file, and then added the one page back into the optimized PDF. I then tried optimizing another similar databook. I removed the page in this second databook that caused the trouble in the first databook, and was able to optimize and add the page back just fine. So now I know what page to avoid optimizing. I wish Adobe would throw some sort of exception with some helpful error code instead of just crashing the program with no information though.

So for those having trouble with optimizing your PDFs, do the files that crash the optimization have anything in common? Are you dealing with a lot of files that have a lot of similar repeat information? Try optimizing a totally random PDF that has nothing in common with the typical PDFs that crash and see if that works. Split a problem file up into multiple smaller files and check if there is just a page or small set of pages in the mix that may be causing the trouble. You may then find that the problem page is also part of the other files giving you trouble and be able to optimize your files and avoid the crashing. Hopefully this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And guess what?  I downloaded the same 130MB file into an old computer that has Acrobat Pro X. 
Saved as Reduced PDF and it took about 4 minutes to produce a 68MB file.  No errors. No crashing.  So this means that in order to reduce the size of my big files I am going to have to use an unsupported version in another computer???? 
Supper disppointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

tried reducing file size of 200mb doc and just keeps crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

I am just trying to reduce the size of a file that is only 34.1MB, and it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solutions i have found are these:

• use a third party website (if you are using the free option they will keep your files for 24 hours and that is a no-no in my case).  
  • use the online Adobe compression tool. I've found that it works about 60% or 70% of the time: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/acrobat/compress-pdf/ 

That is my only choice and I have been getting decent results.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the reason why I bump... I posted and literally 10 minutes later I had my answer. AWESOMESAUCE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have helped! 
There are great third party options too if you wish to go that way.  They really reduce the files a lot more! 

If you use the compression tool in the adobe cloud make sure you review the compressed files that may have been previously OCR'ed (sually scanned files).  I have come accross a few files that lost some of the characters when compressed. In those cases I always reinsert the scan files and leave them as they are, without text recognizion. 

Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue still exists. 

Not sure why we upgraded. Your marketing is better than your app! Wish I had my Acrobat X pro back!

Continuous Release | 2022.003.20310

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines