• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I am the IT administrator for several or our users, on Windows and macOS, using both Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Recently, it has been brought to my attention that if users on Windows10 digitally sign a PDF (using a valid and trusted digital certificate) and if they send this new digitally signed PDF via email (Outlook), users on the mac side are not able to open/preview it from Outlook, even if we first "save as" the file and then open with Adobe. The error message is always the same "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

We have shared the exact same digitally signed PDF via other mediums, and the file then opens just fine with Adobe Reader and/or Pro.

We can also open the file with Outlook Web App, any browser on mac.

I see that back in 2016, Adobe posted a fix for a similar issue, and I have tried these steps but still no go.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-error-1015-11001-update.html 

Although the instructions for adding the proper key/value in the .plist for macOS is not so clear on the link.

Has anyone out there experienced this issue from Windows to Mac?

We are using Windows 10 and Outlook, latest updates. Adobe Reader/Pro also latest update.

Mac side, we have users on both Mojave/Catalina but Adobe and Outlook on mac are also both up to date.

Both users on Windows and Mac connect to Exchange 2016. 

Any suggestions, or any advice from Adobe Experts out there, would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this same problem. I use a macbook and just lost two weeks of work. Lesson learned. I thought I also had a backup copy on my hardrive. Its awful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines