• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two submit buttons

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/setting-action-buttons-pdf-forms.html you can read:

Add a submit button  

When you distribute a form, Acrobat automatically checks the form. If it doesn’t find a submit button, it adds a Submit Form button to the document message bar. Users can click the Submit Form button to send completed forms back to you. If you don’t plan to use the Submit Form button created by Acrobat, you can add a custom submit button to your form.

I added a Submit button to my form but when I distribute the form I get two submit buttons: the one I added plus the one in the standard purple banner as shown below:

So despite my submit button, Adobe Acrobat still created its own. Any explanation?

The only reason for me to add my own submit button was to do some validation before submitting the form.

In fact, I would like to have a submit button with the following JavaScript code:

if (FormOk()==true) {

var nButton = app.alert({

cMsg: "Do you really want to submit this application form?",

cTitle: "Submit form",

nIcon: 2, nType: 2

});

if ( nButton == 4 ) {

// Submit form to UNC

this.submitForm({cURL: "\\SERVER\SHARE\", cSubmitAs:"PDF"});

app.alert({

cMsg: "Your application has been submitted",

nIcon: 3});

} else {

app.alert({

cMsg: "Your application was NOT submitted",

nIcon: 3});

}

}

This would validate the data entered (code for FormOk function not included) and if everything is Ok then would ask the user for confirmation before submitting the form.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

I figured the whole thing out and everything is working as I wanted so I am sharing the solution with everybody.

I got the purple banner disabled by doing the following:

1. In Adobe Acrobat open the File menu
  2. Select Properties
  3. Select the Inital View tab
  4. In the User Interface Options section, check "Hide window controls"
  5. Save and close the file

I then re-opened the form, re-distributed it and this time, like magic, Acrobat recognized my custom Submit button and went through the usual dialogs for creating a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the Distribute command. Simply send out your form with the button

you added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Without distributing the form, I would not get a workflow for collecting the responses.  Would I have to implement my own "Tracker" app? Sounds like re-inventing the wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big problems here.

To to start with you have a "Submit URL" which is not a URL. It's a Filename. "submit" requires an actual URL, using the http, https or mailto protocols. SUBMIT DOES NOT MEAN SAVE. Reliable workflows use https or http and use a script written by a web programmer. 

Second, if you want to use track this has to do the submit. You can't have it both ways. Tracking isn't different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right! There are big problems but with your reply.

I never mentioned that my form had not worked but just that I have ended with two Submit buttons despite Adobe Acrobat documentation stating:

When you distribute a form, Acrobat automatically checks the form. If it doesn’t find a submit button, it adds a Submit Form button to the document message bar

From Adobe Acrobat User Guide, “if you distribute a PDF using your own server location, you can specify a network folder, a Windows server running Microsoft SharePoint Services, or a web server folder”.

I am pretty aware of the fact that SUBMIT DOES NOT MEAN SAVE and that’s exactly why I wanted the SUBMIT functionality which creates a form distribution & data collection workflow.

The Form Distribution Wizard allows you to specify a UNC for the network shared folder as shown below:

So despite the submitForm page in the JavaScript API not mentioning the possibility of using a UNC, my instinct suggested me to test using a UNC instead of a URL which, to my satisfaction, worked as I expected.

In my original post I wrote \\SERVER\SHARE\ which is the Windows notation for a UNC (not a filename) however in Adobe Acrobat, as in UNIX/LINUX, you must use forward slash and write //SERVER/SHARE/ instead.

The custom Submit button in my test form (TEST1.pdf) has the following script associated to the MouseUp event:

// TEST1: UNC

var nButton = app.alert({

cMsg: "Do you really want to submit this application form?",

nIcon: 2, nType: 2

});

if ( nButton == 4 ) {

// Submit form to UNC

this.submitForm({cURL:"//RNAS/DB/TEST/", cSubmitAs:"PDF"});

app.alert({

cMsg: "Your application has been submitted",

nIcon: 3

});

} else {

app.alert({

cMsg: "Your application was NOT submitted",

nIcon: 3

});

}

When filling the form, clicking the custom Submit button worked as shown below:

After clicking Yes:

After clearing the checkbox and clicking Allow:

The weird part, which was the reason of my original post, is that despite having a custom Submit button in the form, Acrobat generated its default Submit Form button in the purple banner which also worked the usual way.

After that you can see both responses in Tracker:

Similar results are obtained using the equivalent URL as in:

this.submitForm({cURL:"smb://RNAS/DB/TEST/", cSubmitAs:"PDF"});

As you can see, reliable workflows can also use smb protocol. Keep in mind that most small businesses outsource their web services but they still have an onsite file server using CIFS hence the value of this distribution method.

BTW, in my 30+ year career in IT, many times I have found undocumented features and/or things that don’t work as documented.

Unfortunately, my issue still needs a solution and I have been thinking that it may be that I simply need a way to hide Adobe’s default Submit Form button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize this post is a bit old, but it is the closest thing to what I've been looking for. Regarding the file path you have in your javascript, is that the location where the "..._distributed.pdf" file resides once a file has been distributed? No matter what I try and use for a file path I can not get this javascript file to do anything once I hit the submit form button. I do see the "Send Form" dialog box appear and I can hit send, but after that nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then don't use the distribute mechanism. That is done by submitting the file, you can't have it both ways. Or, remove your custom submit button. Tracking is NOT a side effect of the submitForm method.

By by the way, does your attempt to do submitForm to a file write the file? I know it says the submit succeeded but that's just because you put that message out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still don't get it, I want the workflow!

Adobe default Submit Form button is limitted. With my custom button I can do whatever I need (complex validations included) before submitting the document

Sure Tracker is not a side effect of the submitForm method but the distribution workflow IS which means:

NO SUBMIT = NO WORKFLOW

DId you read that both responses from my custom submit button and from Adobe Submit Form button went to Tracker?

Two different response files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe offer the workflow you want but I'd be delighted to be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has the workflow I want, the issue is with something not working as documented. The documentation says:

"When you distribute a form, Acrobat automatically checks the form. If it doesn’t find a submit button, it adds a Submit Form button to the document message bar."

My form has a Submit button but Adobe still adds its own. Is it so difficult to get my point?

I don't expect a solution from Adobe until the next update. BTW do you know how frequently they release updates?

At this point I am thinking about a small hack. I am going to try to find out the name of the Adobe Submit Form button and disable it when the form is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use a button with javascript action, not a button with submitform action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the point of adding my own Submit button if it is going to use only for a Submit function?

That would be kind of re-inventing the wheel.

But I think I get your point, I am re-testing right now with my button including Submit a form as an action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result. The distributed form got two Submit buttons:

Both buttons worked Ok and I got the responses on Tracker as shown below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured the whole thing out and everything is working as I wanted so I am sharing the solution with everybody.

I got the purple banner disabled by doing the following:

1. In Adobe Acrobat open the File menu
  2. Select Properties
  3. Select the Inital View tab
  4. In the User Interface Options section, check "Hide window controls"
  5. Save and close the file

I then re-opened the form, re-distributed it and this time, like magic, Acrobat recognized my custom Submit button and went through the usual dialogs for creating a distribution workflow. The distributed form does not display the purple banner and my submission workflow works flawlessly.

Summarizing:

• The submitForm method does support both regular UNC as in:
      this.submitForm({cURL:"//SERVER/SHARE", cSubmitAs:"PDF"});
    or a URL as in:
    this.submitForm({cURL:"smb://SERVER/SHARE/", cSubmitAs:"PDF"});
  • Hiding window controls from the Initial View not only disables the purple banner but also allows Acrobat to properly handle a custom Submit button when generating a distribution workflow

All this have been tested using Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, I couldn't find any other place that went through how to fix this. The extra submit button was doing my head in!

I was wondering if you still had the "send form" window pop up when you submit? I'd like this to go away and just add the response to the distributed response form, but not sure how I can hide this (see the window below).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have used your JavaScript in the Submit botton to a UNC path successfully on PC. However, it does not work on any tablet with iOS or Android. Would you have any recommendation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines