• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to apply digital signature in PDF Form

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Support Community, I created a Form from an existing PDF document that I would like potential clients to complete and sign.  In the Form, I inserted a field for a digital signature.  When testing out the Form with my own data, all the fields functioned, except the one for the digital signature.  When trying to perform the digital signature, it gave me an error message (shown below), including Report Codes 4000 - Unrecognised PDF Content, 1001 - Comment or form field may silently change, 1008 - Document contains hidden behavior, and 1002 - Comment or form field may silently change.  Can you please advise on how best to resolve this issue ?

defaultq7hutk0vlw22_0-1616598879848.png

TOPICS
PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with every PDF that you try to digitally sign?

Seems to me like the PDF that you're currently using was not sanitized entirely. Maybe it has signatures that need to be cleared, or some sort of editing restrictions that need to be cleared (if it had password protection before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ls_rbls,

Thanks for your answer. 

The problem seems to only be with the PDF form I created.  Is there a tutorial available on how 'sanitize' this form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go into that, what version of Acrobat Pro are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on Preferences --->>> Document Properties, can you identify what was the source program that created this PDF?

I suspect you may be dealing with a PDF that was produced with software other than Acrobat Pro DC, for example. 

And if that is the case, I am not sure if you'll be able to unlock such restrictions.

Is this a file that you'll be able to share?

In that case,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. 

The file origin shows "Acrobat PDFMaker 11 für Word".  I received the PDF from another person and adapted it for my needs before transforming it into a PDF Form.

Please find the file in attached.  I would appreciate having your feedback on how to resolve any errors occurring when using the file.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran an Accessibility check and there is no outsatnding error in regards of the field objects.

At the end of the PDF you have two, not one, digital signature fields: "Signature5" and "Signature6".

Borh digital signature field objects behave normal when employing a self-signed digital certificate; no errors are thrown on my end.

I can only think of your version of Acrobat, if it is updated.

If updating Acrobat to its latest version is not the issue, or clicking on Help--->> "Repair Installtion" (if using Microsoft Windows) doesn't improve, then I am suspecting that it could be related to the type of digital certificate that you're trying to sign with, or if you're using a third-party document signing workflow.

For example, if you're using a smart card device, or the certificate root authority for that signing certificate  depends on a custom time-stamp server to execute the signing action, ensure that you're online or it will fail execute the sign action. This is the reason why I tested your form with a self-signed certificate because it is locally available in the system via certificate store; it doesn't require to communicate with an online service nor a time-stamp server to authenticate.

Can you confirm if you have  configured  the digital certificates properly  in both Acrobat and the operating system?

However, I noticed that when you go to "Document Properties" ---->>> "Security" tab,  the Security Method shows "No Security" but the "Change Settings..." and "Show Details..." buttons appear greyed out and innaccessible.

In the section just below those buttons, "Can be Opened by: ", it says "Acrobat compatibility information unavailable".

I am unsure if this is normal when no security method is specified, just an observation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear rs_lbrs,

Many thanks for your response, which gives me confidence that the form works properly.

The problem is perhaps indeed with the digital certificate I was trying to use.  I'll have a closer look at this.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines