• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to close files in Acrobat

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been viewing a number of saved pdfs (journal articles) in an attempt to reorganise my files. I now have a problem that if I open a file I then am unable to close it. I close it on Acrobat and indeed close the whole programme down but the file remains on there and I cannot rename it or move it to a more suitable folder in file explorer (Windows 10). It is completely blocked by the system which tells me that it is still open.

I have tried reloading Acrobat but my version is up-to-date and I cannot download a more up-to-date version.

This is making life very difficult. Can anyone help?

Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Katherineg,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, you are not able to close the PDF files once opened in Acrobat, Is that correct?

As you mentioned, you already tried reinstalling Acrobat, but the issue persists, please try resetting the preferences once, to reset preferences refer to How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Reboot the machine and see if this makes any difference.

Try removing Acrobat once using the Acrobat cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and install Acrobat from Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

If the issue still persists, please create a Test user account with full admin rights and try closing the PDFs.

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I shall be busy

Katherine

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a BS response! I am having the same issue and should not have to interrupt my work for a problem CREATED BY ADOBE. WE PAY FOR YOUR SOFTWARE TO WORK, NOTY TO HAVE TO FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!!! 

HOW ABOUT ADOBE COMPENSATES ME FOR THE LOST TIME I CANNOT BILL BECAUSE I AM REPAIRING THEIR ISSUE?!

ADOBE IS THE MOST AGGRAVATING SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER USED IN OVER 35 YEARS AS AN ENGINEER. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have (I think) the same issue (on Windows 10, with Acrobat DC). After I close the visible Acrobat application, sometimes I can't rename the file. Also, if the PDF is generated by, e.g., an R script, the script runs (without complaining), but then Acrobat says the file is already open. Presumably one of the background processes has locked the file.

This is problematic because it makes it harder to rename files, or to run a program (such as R), which generates a PDF file, after altering the program. (Which I usually do a lot :/)

If there's an option to fix this, it would be good to know about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It aseems to be a general problem in Acrobat.

@Adobe: Please help ASAP. This is very annoying!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same exact problem. It's very annoying when you've quit Acrobat and are trying to rename pdf files and can't because somehow the files are still tied up in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, which is very annoying. After closing the program, the file cannot be moved or renamed because Windows reports it open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same problems with adobe pdf the page wont close for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the file is still open problem.

Additionally I can achieve the problem after I print the file. 

If I was to open the file and then close it immeadeatly then the file would not remain open and I would be allowed to move or rename the file.  It seems this file remaining open problem happens, for me, when I preform a task in Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. I think it is a creative cloud issue. I literally can not open a pdf, then close the pdf and acrobat pro and rename it but I can on my other computer that only has adobe reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It has been 5 years and Adobe has done nothing. Why has this not been corrected. Why are you locking our files. Adobe needs to at least acknowledge all its PAYING costumers with an answer as to why they are doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:

https://superuser.com/questions/1039567/this-action-cannot-be-completed-because-the-file-is-open-in-...

Jack Gardner, P.E.
Principal

Telluride Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the work around and I will give it a try. 

It is my opinion that Adobe needs to take care of this on their end instead of everyone finding a work around. It has been over 5 years, it is time to listen to your costumers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines