• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete Digital IDs using Acrobat Reader DC and from Keychain on Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a few weeks ago, I was asked to create a signature to sign a document, now I can't send any emails without granting access each time and typing in a password. I tried to remove Digital IDs from keychain and got this error 'Removing a digital ID is only permitted if the ID was created by Adobe Reader or Acrobat version 8.0 or later." I'm on a mac and browser is Safari.

I tried to get help from Adobe Tech Support but they said they couldn't help because it is a free program, and that's what the forums are for, and also that I should contact Apple. But the signature was created within Acrobat DC version 19.12 the latest version - not a version from years ago, and I am trying to delete the ID from within that same program.

I want to completely delete my Digital ID, remove it from my keychain, and be able to send emails etc without getting the pop-up window to allow access to the keychain.

I have read through the forum and it seems like so many people have a similar issue but nothing seems to have been resolved. One suggestion is to reset my keychain, but this means I will lose all my passwords for all programs across all apple devices.

Adobe Acrobat tech support should be able to resolve this issue as it was created and is hosted in their own software program. This is very annoying and clearly a bug/fault within the program.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

EUREKA! I solved this problem.

Like OP it emerged when I had to create a signature for a PDF and naively saved it to my keychain. Apple Mail then began to insist on digitally signing all outgoing mail via entering my keychain password. Following Adobe's advice below to select the errant digital ID wouldn't let me click 'remove.' Adobe's additional advice to go the nuclear option and totally delete keychain and loose all my passwords and other security settings is frankly an amaturish and stupid

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Apologies for the delay in response, I hope you would be able to fix it by now.

As you were experiencing issues with Digital ID on Acrobat Reader and wants to delete it. You may try the following steps:

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not remove the ID from Adobe or my keychain. I am on a MAC. Please help.  I have tried everything and it repopulates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I delete it and it comes back.  All of my outbound emails from the associated email address show that the identity of the sender cannot be verified.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EUREKA! I solved this problem.

Like OP it emerged when I had to create a signature for a PDF and naively saved it to my keychain. Apple Mail then began to insist on digitally signing all outgoing mail via entering my keychain password. Following Adobe's advice below to select the errant digital ID wouldn't let me click 'remove.' Adobe's additional advice to go the nuclear option and totally delete keychain and loose all my passwords and other security settings is frankly an amaturish and stupid buck passing exercise of a known issue that others have reported on the forums.  

The permanent solution:  Open Keychin on your Mac. Select Login from the upper left menu and select MyCertificates from the lower left menu. On the right, you'll be able to see any certificates saved in your keychain. Find the offending certificate:  I did this by cross referencing with the expiry date of the certificate I couldn't delete from within Adobe. (Note you need to click the arrow to expand the folder content).  Right click to delete it from your Keychain. If you're nervous about deleting it, you could export a copy to your downloads folder first as back up.  Now that I've deleted the Adobe certificate, Mail has returned to normal behaviour. 

There is also a less permanent workaround in Mail. If encription is turned on in Mail via login keychain settings, there will be a blue star icon below the subject line when you compose a new email. Click that star. It will grey out with a x mark. Mails will send normally, however this might inadvertantly disable any other digital mail signing that you actually do want or need attached to outgoing emails. 

I hope this is more helpful than Adobe's boilerplate response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this procedure!  I thought I would be stuck signing email until 2025, which is when the certificate ended.  All worked perfectly and the offending keychain entry was removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it  repopulate for you. I delete and it comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This website provides a wealth of information with many detailed setp-by-step instructions:

https://militarycac.com/keychain.htm

See if you're missing any of the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ranjit jena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. This was hugely helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much - saved lots of unnecessary stress when it really wasn't needed. Thanks.

Adobe - you can stick that feature where the sun don't shine, along with AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much! I totally agree that a "delete all" approach is not a reasonable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you are a mac user all what you need to do is:

1- Go to your mac key chain

2- Choose the Certificate(s) you need to delete 

3- Before you delete, ensure that you export it to your desktop for examplem should you require it in the futute for anything

4- Select the certificate again

5- hit delet

and hereyou go, that is all you need to do.

Hope this was of any help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem. However, I've followed the process to remove the ID from Acrobat preferences and when I select the certificate and click on "Remove ID" nothing happens. I've deleted it from my Apple Keychain but I continue getting error messages whenever I try to send email from Apple Mail (they work when sending from a web browser interface). How can the digital ID from Acrobat? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines