Highlighted

Unable to remove old bookmarks and make/save new bookmarks

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am annotating some PDFs and I’m having issues with a few of the documents getting the bookmarks to save.  Originally these documents had a bunch of bookmarks I did not need so I deleted them all, started over again, and saved the doc with a new name.  When I saved, closed, then reopened the doc all my bookmarks were gone.  The only one left was the one of the original bookmarks from the original file.  I find that if I don’t delete that original bookmark, just rename it, then it will stay saved.  BUT, none of the other bookmarks will stick.  If I bookmark things UNDER that original bookmark and then move them then they will save.  It doesn’t make any sense and it very disruptive to my workflow.

Topics

Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to remove old bookmarks and make/save new bookmarks

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am annotating some PDFs and I’m having issues with a few of the documents getting the bookmarks to save.  Originally these documents had a bunch of bookmarks I did not need so I deleted them all, started over again, and saved the doc with a new name.  When I saved, closed, then reopened the doc all my bookmarks were gone.  The only one left was the one of the original bookmarks from the original file.  I find that if I don’t delete that original bookmark, just rename it, then it will stay saved.  BUT, none of the other bookmarks will stick.  If I bookmark things UNDER that original bookmark and then move them then they will save.  It doesn’t make any sense and it very disruptive to my workflow.

Topics

Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - sounds like a very unusual event.  If you can tell us some details, maybe someone here can help troubleshoot your situation.  I assume you're using Acrobat Pro DC?  What operating system?  Which version of Acrobat, exactly?  Ordinarily, I'd suspect that the file wasn't saved after the bookmark alterations, but you clearly stated that you did save.  The more you can tell us, the better the shot we have to help fix the problem.

My best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marsha

++ Adding to the discussion, we need some more information

• Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDF? Please try with a different PDF file and check for the issue.
  • Is the PDF form saved on a shared network/drive? If yes, please try to download it to your computer and then try to add bookmarks and check. You may also try to turn off the protected mode for testing and see if that makes any difference. Go to Edit (Windows) > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click OK and reboot the computer.
    Note: Turning off the security may possess security risks. Please turn on the security after testing.
  • What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 20.12.20041 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (For Windows Only) Go to Help > Repair installation.

If it still doesn't work, please try to reset the preferences to default as described in the help article https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out for your concerns.

Are you still Facing the issue at your end with every PDF ?

Thanks

Ayush Jain

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to follow up. Initally I found some help on this https://acrobatusers.com/forum/accessibility/pdf-bookmarks-dont-save/; when I shared that with my user she said that wouldn't work for her. 

I've finally been able to work on this issue with her more and posed all the questions and options that you all have shared and she said that the first solution is working for her.

Just as a heads up I will say this issue only affected pdf's that she received that already had pdf's and her version is currently 15.006.30198.61077, I am having her run the 'check for updates' to get the latest but says other than that she's all good to go. 

I really appreciate everyone's assistance, thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dave__M LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working!

My best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF