Highlighted

Unwanted Ligature symbols when copying from Acrobat to Word

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a PDF version of an online magazine, where I'm just exporting the webpages to PDF and framing those PDFs in an Indesign document.

Everything looks fine in the Indesign document and when I export it to PDF everything looks fine in Acrobat too, but when I copy parts of the text from the PDF to a word document the fi, fl, fr, etc. get changed into !, ", etc. (check added files)

I've been struggling with this for a while now, but I cant seem to find an easy fix for it, since I'm not using text boxes.

Hopefully someone knows a good solution.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unwanted Ligature symbols when copying from Acrobat to Word

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a PDF version of an online magazine, where I'm just exporting the webpages to PDF and framing those PDFs in an Indesign document.

Everything looks fine in the Indesign document and when I export it to PDF everything looks fine in Acrobat too, but when I copy parts of the text from the PDF to a word document the fi, fl, fr, etc. get changed into !, ", etc. (check added files)

I've been struggling with this for a while now, but I cant seem to find an easy fix for it, since I'm not using text boxes.

Hopefully someone knows a good solution.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ligatures are typically a feature of the font that you're using. Usually an OpenType font. If you're copying text from Acrobat and pasting into Word and the Word doc is not using an OpenType font, there's no character that can be used to recognize the ligature. I'd try choosing an OpenType font in Word before pasting the text. I'd also ask the question why you're going from InDesign to PDF to Word. Why not go directly from InDesign to Word? A lot of conversion occurs when the PDF is generated and some features will be lost.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm I've tried for a while, but that doesn't seem to work sadly.

Problem is that I have to send a PDF to this company I'm working with. They apparently have a very strict way of doing things, so they have to copy from PDF to Word.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, perhaps you can turn off ligatures in InDesign, if you don't want them in the PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way of doing that without text boxes? I made the mistake of just importing a PDF print of the website, without copy pasting any text into Indesign, so I don't have much creative freedom with those.

I'm now copy pasting all the text into text boxes. It's tedious work, but that seems to work. I hoped there might be another solution for it

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I see the connection with a PDF print of a website versus InDesign. Can you describe your workflow more. Something is clearly wrong in the PDF because ligatures should work better than that, but printing to PDF is likely to mess things comprehensively up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I'm doing:

I start off going to a webpage like this one: https://magazine.wideoyster.com/en/saxony-germany/ on safari. 

Safari gives the option of exporting a webpage to PDF, so that's what I. When the webpage is exported to PDF I import it into Indesign and cut it up/crop it so it's changed into multiple pages in A3 format.

When that's all done I export the Indesign pages into PDF and this problem occurs.

I hope this explains it well enough

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... please try out the original PDF, the one made directly from Safari, not placed in InDesign. Open in Acrobat - what happens when you copy/paste from this original PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry for my late reply, but I've found out this same problem occurs when i download the PDF from the website. I've tried it in a lot of ways now, but it only seems to work correctly when i print it as PDF from Google Chrome. Sadly this doesn't copy the style of the page.

The problem probably lies with the font used on the website. I'll try to find another solution

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't seem to be able to turn off Ligatures in InDesign I suggest you post in the InDesign forum. If you can stop them getting into the PDF the issue shouldn't arise.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0