Highlighted

Use search index with Acrobat Reader on Ipad Pro

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning all,

I use the PDF format to distribute catalogs that will be read on Ipad Pro. The biggest catalogs are ~ 900 pages long and my problem is with the search engine on the iPad in the Acrobat reader app.

Basically, the search is very slow so from Acrobat Pro DC I incorporated a search index into my file, saved the file and transferred it to an Ipad again. Unfortunately, research is still very slow. The further away the search term is in the document, the more time it takes. This observation makes me say that the index is not used on the Ipad version.

Is this the case or is there a specific adjustment to be made?
Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Use search index with Acrobat Reader on Ipad Pro

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning all,

I use the PDF format to distribute catalogs that will be read on Ipad Pro. The biggest catalogs are ~ 900 pages long and my problem is with the search engine on the iPad in the Acrobat reader app.

Basically, the search is very slow so from Acrobat Pro DC I incorporated a search index into my file, saved the file and transferred it to an Ipad again. Unfortunately, research is still very slow. The further away the search term is in the document, the more time it takes. This observation makes me say that the index is not used on the Ipad version.

Is this the case or is there a specific adjustment to be made?
Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know (meaning the last time I checked), the mobile version of Adobe's Reader does not support a search index. So there is nothing you can do to speed up search. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks.

Too bad I will have to find another software solution to allow consultation of the doc offline 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try a tablet with Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already have the Ipad Pro so no interest in testing with Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10 you can use Acrobat Reader DC with the search index.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, I already did some tests before posting and I know the use of indexes from Acrobat 9 on PC (Windows XP, 7, 10).

I am forced to use Ipad Pro so no choice 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The embedded search index is no longer used by desktop versions of Acrobat for several month (security issues).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information.

Does an alternative solution exist for the case of files containing a lot of pages (between 900 and 1000)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows and Mac you can use a Full Text Index with Catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can increase the Cache size

Acrobat_cjeoRd2Hpd.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0