• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User complaining Adobe Form stopped selecting default text to replace with new text - need solution

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Polling the Community to see if anyone can help me with a solution.  I have a user that recently updated her version of Adobe Reader on a new computer.  Previously when filling out PDF forms, when she tabbed to the field it would select the prefilled text and she could start typing and it would replace the existing text with the new.  Now, when she tabs to the field it no longer selects the default text but adds to it and this is causing her extra steps to remove the default text and replace it. Seems like this is a setting but since I don't use Reader (I use Pro DC), I don't know the fix. 

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat Reader? What OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tabbing into a text field only causes the contents to be selected if it's not a multi-line field. Could that be the case?
At any rate it's not a setting that you can set on or off. If the default behavior of the application changed you'll need to ask Adobe to change it back (or to make it customizable by the user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and Adobe Reader DC.  See my response to Meenakshi below for clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kimberly_Mynatt,

Thank you for reaching out. 

As per your description, when the user clicks on the field and type in the text, it gets added to the default text. There is nothing that has been changed in the process of filling the form with the recent update.

It seems that the user previously used to double click on the text, that selects the text in the field. And then if you type in, it would replace the text in the field. 

If you are referring to something else, please share the video recording of the workflow for a better understanding. Also, confirm if the workflow (replacing the text) was the same for all the forms previously filled by the user on the old version.

Share the Reader and OS version used by the user.

Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some years now, I've been creating fillable PDF's for our titling team to use for titling mobile homes (they were using an older version of Adobe Reader & Windows).  They all recently upgraded their computers to Adobe Reader DC & Windows 10.  I use Adobe Acrobat DC to create them.  The majority of the information is prefilled but allows them the ability to change it if needed for various situations.  Previously, when they tabbed through the fillable fields it would select the prefilled text so when they started typing the replacement text it would automatically replace it.  That worked great and saved time.  Now when they tab to a field with prefilled text, it adds new text to the existing text so they have to backspace to remove it then type the new text.  This is really slowing them down.  I do not have this issue when I pull it up on my computer, during a ZOOM call, one of the ladies showed me what it was doing for them so I am hoping someone can provide a solution. I wasn't able to duplicate it or find any settings on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing the detailed information.

Would it be possible to share any sample PDF with us so we can try replicating the issue? You may generate a link using the Share option in Acrobat and paste that link here.

We will also require the Acrobat Reader DC and the OS version used on the client machine. It would be very helpful if you can ask the client to share a small video recording of the issue.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines