• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Document Cloud to read/highlight/comment on large pdfs - upload/DL sizes?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to find the answer to this in the FAQs, but it's either not mentioned or deeply hidden:

I have a fairly large PDF, around 250MB with over 1300 pages that I need to read through. Usually I do this on my PC but when I'm on the road it would be convenient if I could access it on my mobile device. I need to make highlights to the pdf and occasionally annotate.

Now, I've spent the last 10 minutes uploading the file to the document cloud - and it's still going!

My question is: If I use DC to sync the file across devices, are _only_ the comments and highlights synced (i.e. the changes) or does it need to upload/download the entire document every single time? (The latter wouldn't be feasible in terms of time required for syncing)

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Sorry to inform you that the entire document will be synced every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to inform you that the entire document will be synced every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uff, okay. Yeah I just tried making one minor change and now I'm in transfer-land again >_<

Thank you for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can split the document in parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with the previous comment about splitting the document into smaller parts.  I have a some ideas that may also help.

- If the document is generated from multiple other documents (e.g., separate chapters in different Word documents), generate the pdfs individually.

- If the document has parts that are automatically generated (tables of contents, lists of tables, index, etc.) delete those parts.

- Don't over comment the file.  For example, if you use a highlight a passage do not add a text box or callout pointing to the passage to explain the highlighting.  Open the highlight in the comment pane (or double click) and enter your commentary there.  The same is true for cross-outs, etc.

- When saving, reduce the file size.  Huge files can be reduced to a fraction of their original size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines