Highlighted

Using the "Add an Image Field" doesn't work for two-page PDF

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm working on a form to send to customers, it's a digital proof for their review. It will feature the front and back of a business card, as well as some extra bits at the bottom like "Approved" "Approved with changes" etc, for print production.

I've got the basics down, but I'm having some trouble. I've got two "Add an Image Field" boxes on the page, one for the front and one for the reverse. However, I can't seem to choose a different page to be displayed in the Image Field. In fact, it doesn't even default to the first page, it automatically selects the back (2nd page) of the file.

Of course this could be remedied by just saving the business card twice, one for each page, however that's a less elegant solution than I was hoping for, since the card is made with two artboards inside of one Illustrator file. As well, it would mean having more files to keep track of, rather than just the one 2-page PDF for one business card.

Two separate files for the front and back is not appealing from a file management perspective, so I was really hoping there's a solution I'm overlooking, or perhaps an answer that involves some javascript if need-be.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to, PDF forms, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Using the "Add an Image Field" doesn't work for two-page PDF

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm working on a form to send to customers, it's a digital proof for their review. It will feature the front and back of a business card, as well as some extra bits at the bottom like "Approved" "Approved with changes" etc, for print production.

I've got the basics down, but I'm having some trouble. I've got two "Add an Image Field" boxes on the page, one for the front and one for the reverse. However, I can't seem to choose a different page to be displayed in the Image Field. In fact, it doesn't even default to the first page, it automatically selects the back (2nd page) of the file.

Of course this could be remedied by just saving the business card twice, one for each page, however that's a less elegant solution than I was hoping for, since the card is made with two artboards inside of one Illustrator file. As well, it would mean having more files to keep track of, rather than just the one 2-page PDF for one business card.

Two separate files for the front and back is not appealing from a file management perspective, so I was really hoping there's a solution I'm overlooking, or perhaps an answer that involves some javascript if need-be.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to, PDF forms, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PDF where you have the front and back images of your business card is in a PDF that has more than one page, you should be able to  use the scrollbar provided in the "Add Image" button. See slides below:

I was able to get this done:

temp-fron-back.png

image button-front-back.png

Are you saying that your Acrobat don't provide you with a scroll bar? This is how you're able to do this.

However, I tried to reproduce the problem on my end and noticed a few Page Display settings of interest that I had to disable to get the results that I wanted in this example. See last slide below:

pageview.png

NOTE: This may or may not have anything to do with your issue but you may need to check in Edit-->>Preferences if there's a reading order setting that need to be disabled. In addition, I also right-click on the examle PDF document and selected "Document Properties from the context menu.

When you navigate to the"Initial View" tab, verify what is the document page set to open to. See last slide:

opento.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the thorough response!

I have:

• Checked in Document Properties under Initial View and ensured it is set to Open to page 1 of 1;
  • Unchecked Show Gaps Between Pages and Show Cover Page in Two Page View;
  • Checked Two Page View;

And unfortunately am still having the same issue. The context menu does provide me with scroll bars.

Interestingly, the issue appears to be with the mockup business card I made to test this proof page. When I used a random PDF document, selecting unique pages works perfectly; it's only with my own dummy file that this issue occurs.

Do you have any recommendations on how to troubleshoot that? I'll try saving it from Illustrator in some different file formats and see if that does the trick.

Edit/Update:

Toying around with Illustrator didn't seem to help. I made another mockup in Powerpoint and saved that as a 2-page PDF and am still having the same issue. If I had this issue with two different programs, I'd tend to beleive the issue was somewhere in the form itself, but it worked when I used a random PDF I got online.

I really don't know how to identify the cause of this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, what I would do is to save the original file from illustrator to JPEG 2000 or TIFF.

Then merge and open these  two images in  Adobe Acrobat directly so Acrobat can  it convert this image file to PDF automatically.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a empty page to the front of the PDF file.

At the bottom you can see what page (image) will be used:

Bild1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 1