• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to add bullets to Text Field. Editing tools are grayed out.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro DC,

If I add a Text Field to my pdf it allows me to type but I cannot insert a number or bullet list. Those features are grayed out.

If I use Add Text  it creates its own text box, which does allow me to use all the editing tools. But, it does not allow me to configure the behavior of the text box.

In a Text Field I can set the text to wrap and get progressively smaller when it reaches the bottom box. Whereas in an Add Text box the typing wraps but just continues adding lines beyond the bottom of the box and out of sight. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

OK.  So what you really want is a Rich Text Editor.  And RTE is only supported by Adobe Experience Manager Forms (formerly LiveCycle) which is not part of Creative Cloud. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/authoring/using/rich-text-editor.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Community (Forum) Help to Acrobat.

I'm of the opinion that major content changes like changing paragraphs to bulleted lists should be performed in the app that created your original document such as MS Word or InDesign.  Then you can use Acrobat to create a new PDF.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, Thanks for responding. I am new to creating PDFs. The document I have created is form that is mostly read only with only a couple of editable fields. The users of the form need to be able to add and modify text (highlighting, font color, bullets, etc.) is there an easy way to edit the text in Text Fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So what you really want is a Rich Text Editor.  And RTE is only supported by Adobe Experience Manager Forms (formerly LiveCycle) which is not part of Creative Cloud. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/authoring/using/rich-text-editor.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...hmmm! Not what I wanted to hear. I guess I've been spoiled with MS. There, whenever there is text it can be manipulated. Apples and Oranges I guess? 

Thank you Nancy for working with me. I appreciate your help. I thought I was going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF forms are often used by governments, courts, real estate agents & institutions for gathering ordinary text data and signatures.  Think gov't tax forms, applications, lease agreements, etc... 

It might help if we understood exactly what you're doing and why you want to use PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created an form for supervisors to use in the evaluation of their employees. A number of dropdown boxes with rankings from 1-5 for specific questions related to employee's performance. Three text fields. One for goals from last year, one for goals for next year, and one for overall comments. It will be simple enough to manually a number in front of each of the goals.  

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In form text fields you can use the rich text format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines