Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wanted: Acrobat DC updates WITHOUT reboot

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***To Adobe support***

I'm asking for an annoying problem to be fixed.

Acrobat DC is as far as I know the only Adobe app that does updates without asking in the background and requires a system reboot afterwards. Otherwise the app won't open PDF files anymore.

This issue interrupts my working process every time and costs valuable time saving and closing all projects and then having to restart the whole system in order to get Acrobat running again.

My questions:

1) Is this necessary because Acrobat is still a 32-bit application? PS / ID / AI etc. don't require a reboot after updating.

2) Will this be fixed in the announced 64-bit roll-out of Acrobat?

Thanks

Regards

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Not an Adobe reply. I agree it is outrageous that Acrobat updates without warning!!)

1) No, and the Acrobat installer doesn't make the decision to reboot either. It happens when the Windows Installer app finds it cannot update everything, usually because something is in use. Acrobat has many system components (browser add-on; shell extensions; search indexers; Office add-ins; print drivers; and more), so it is almost certain that a reboot will be forced. The other Adobe apps don't have that stuff, but if they did, they would need a reboot too. [Another reason why installing updates without a prompt is outrageous...]

2) No, because it isn't broken, and isn't related to 32- and 64-bit. I hope, however, that Adobe change their update timing soon, and I suggest you post a request at https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your hint and sorry for my late reply.

I've posted a feature request here:

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/42737531-wanted-...

Hope to hear from Adobe support soon.

Have a nice weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

Over two month passed since my post in Adobe UserVoice – no response yet.

Today another unsolicited Acrobat update in the background during working process. Had to close and shutdown everything again and it's getting really annoying because you just don't expect it.

No announcement, no decision about whether you might want to do the update later.

Does anyone have any ideas how to move forward on the matter?

Thanks

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing more to do and there is little hope.

See this topic: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/crazy-and-brutal-update/m-p/11575543

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for the link – I read the conversation and came across a reference.

I've disabled automatic updates in Creative Cloud client long time ago, but it's obviously that Acrobat is not affected by this setting.

I wasn't aware that there is a separate menu item "Updater" under Settings menu in the Acrobat app. Here you can deactivate automatic updates. As mentioned under the discussion link, how many people take a look for separated update settings because it is assumed that every Adobe app belongs to the CC family.

However, I wonder whether I will be notified of future updates or whether I will have to manually check for them at regular intervals when disabling automatic updates in Acrobat.

Is there any experience on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And here we are, 3 (three!!!) years later, and this issue still exists. I just got a message suddenly, i cannot open a pdf file, i must restart my pc first. I cannot since i am in middle of working, with the autocad Creo, i disassembled a very complex object (at least 50 parts for a spare parts book), i spent at least two hours, and cannot save in this state, just restart the process. Nooo way! And i need to open tons of different pdf files to check things. Now i have to use Edge to open them. I hate this irritant and arrogant way of updates from acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines