Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird jibberish characters in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there has been a lot of talk about this topic. BUT -

Why is it, that I have two similar PCs in my office - both run standard windows 10, and acrobat pro dc.

But on one of them some PDFs looks like jibberish - weird characters that don't make any sense.
It's not just from one source, that the PDFs are unreadable. 
Someone wrote that it was generated from companies using "not-adobe" programs to create their PDF, but thats not the case, since I have two PCs where one can read the PDFs and the other can't.

What is the solution - there has got to be one!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess a font issue.

Be sure that your 2 PCs uses the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, they are both standard PCs with Windows 10 - no alterations at all - so basically the same. 
If there is fonts missing on one PC, they should be missing on the other two - and which fonts should be missing?
I mean, this is Adobe we're talking about. I (and others) should not have this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure that this setting is the same on both:

LocalFonts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is - but still just jibberishadobe.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, did you manage to solve this one? It started on my PC as well 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here 😕 any solutions?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, share a sample file otherwise we can only play guessing games.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/sharing-pdfs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most strongly agree. In order to provide anything other than a WAG (wild-assed guess) as to what is going, we need to see one or more sample files exhibiting the problem so that we can investigate exactly what the problem is.

There are a number of issues that could cause these problems. Generally, these issues revolve around either (1) unembedded fonts (yes, not embedding a font saves a few bytes of disk space, but the problems that can be encountered, oy!, (2) either missing or improper mapping tables for the fonts, or (3) both.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you export your PDFs from the source program, make sure to check the options to embed the fonts into the PDF.

If the PDF is already made, you can embed the fonts into the PDF with Acrobat's Preflight utility. But you first have to ensure that the fonts called by the PDF are installed on your computer.

All of the software companies are controlling their fonts, when and where you can use them, etc. One thing that's required is that the fonts are either embedded into the PDF or are available on your computer (and, of course, match those called by the PDF).

Follow the steps outlined in my Oct. 5, 2019 answer here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/scrambled-text-when-viewing-pdf-documents-in-acrobat-standard...

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines