• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations? RAM? Number of proces

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations?

RAM?

Number of procesing cores?

CPU clock speed?

solid state hard drive?

64 bit processing?

other?

Is the subscription Acrobat DC Pro version any faster at OCR than the 2015 Acrobat DC Pro version?

Thank you.

Philo Willetts

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Acrobat uses only one processor, so it may benefit from the fastest single core. Or not. And it is a 32-bit app so it won't use more than 3GB maximum (and wouldn't need to, and would not speed up from being 64-bit). And it doesn't use the most important tuning component, which you don't mention, the GPU. So it's fairly easy to analyse. You should use Task Manager to see what limit is actually being reached. It might be maximum CPU, or it might be disk speed. It might be paging a lot if you need

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat uses only one processor, so it may benefit from the fastest single core. Or not. And it is a 32-bit app so it won't use more than 3GB maximum (and wouldn't need to, and would not speed up from being 64-bit). And it doesn't use the most important tuning component, which you don't mention, the GPU. So it's fairly easy to analyse. You should use Task Manager to see what limit is actually being reached. It might be maximum CPU, or it might be disk speed. It might be paging a lot if you need more RAM.

But I have to say, if you're looking at optimizing hardware, you probably have a major OCR workload and Acrobat is not the tool for you. It's a light duty desktop tool for low volumes. Look for non-Adobe products optimized for OCR. They may of course not do as good a job of OCR. We cannot discuss the rivals here, but I feel I should mention that they exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not a helpful answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but it's the correct one, even today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty pathetic being the acrobat does not invest in R&D for making Acrobat DC faster by using multiple cores and 64 bit architecture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been disappointed to see years of inquiries about using the available hardware (RAM, cores) only to see answers for 5+ years (2016 through 2021 and probably more) that Acrobat "Pro" is a single-threaded product and cannot leverage multiple cores that are commonplace on computers today.

For my MacBook Pro 2020 (2.6 GHz, 6 core i7,  16 G RAM), I find that Acrobat "Pro" is too slow at times and yet is using only about 12% of my computer's available hardware.  This is ridiculous for such an expensive product.

I have installed a command-line script on this machine that is written in Python and called OCRmyPDF.  It uses the Tessaract OCR engine.  When it is running, it is very obvious since the fans spin up and the processor meters show full usage.  It is also much faster.  Getting all of the dependencies installed was a little bit of a chore but now I have something that I can use when I don't care to wait as long.

Another failing of Acrobat "Pro" is when you try to combine more than a certain number (or combined file size) into a PDF.  It fails with a cryptic message about a table being full.  I am not sure why this should be so on a 16 GB RAM machine except that it was programmed with conservative values for the computers of 5-10 years ago and never modified to look at the available resources.  Also, why it does not discover that it will run out of space (say check the size when doing the permission scan of the files) is beyond me as a long time programmer and system administrator.

I think that the Acrobat team is on vacation or is busy making features that no one has really asked for.  It feels like a largely neglected product when the most common use cases for building and performing OCR are better handled by FREE open-source programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an attorney, I use Acrobat every day. What happened here? This used to be the "Acrobat Pro" of PDF software! I've been waiting all afternoon for acrobat to redact several pages in a w00 page document. This is the only reason I pay for creative cloud suite. I've about had it with this BS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I work in IT at a small law firm. its pretty depressing to basicly tell a user it is what it is when it comes to Adobe products. I wish there was something more robust, faster and less buggy. Adobe doesnt even look through these threads so whatever I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines