Highlighted

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations? RAM? Number of proces

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations?

RAM?

Number of procesing cores?

CPU clock speed?

solid state hard drive?

64 bit processing?

other?

Is the subscription Acrobat DC Pro version any faster at OCR than the 2015 Acrobat DC Pro version?

Thank you.

Philo Willetts

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

Acrobat uses only one processor, so it may benefit from the fastest single core. Or not. And it is a 32-bit app so it won't use more than 3GB maximum (and wouldn't need to, and would not speed up from being 64-bit). And it doesn't use the most important tuning component, which you don't mention, the GPU. So it's fairly easy to analyse. You should use Task Manager to see what limit is actually being reached. It might be maximum CPU, or it might be disk speed. It might be paging a lot if you need more RAM.

But I have to say, if you're looking at optimizing hardware, you probably have a major OCR workload and Acrobat is not the tool for you. It's a light duty desktop tool for low volumes. Look for non-Adobe products optimized for OCR. They may of course not do as good a job of OCR. We cannot discuss the rivals here, but I feel I should mention that they exist.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations? RAM? Number of proces

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What computer hardware configurations can best speed up Adobe Acrobat DC Pro's OCR function-- coverting pdf to recognize text for searchable amd editable pdf? Or is Acrobat not designed to benefit from extra hardware configurations?

RAM?

Number of procesing cores?

CPU clock speed?

solid state hard drive?

64 bit processing?

other?

Is the subscription Acrobat DC Pro version any faster at OCR than the 2015 Acrobat DC Pro version?

Thank you.

Philo Willetts

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

Acrobat uses only one processor, so it may benefit from the fastest single core. Or not. And it is a 32-bit app so it won't use more than 3GB maximum (and wouldn't need to, and would not speed up from being 64-bit). And it doesn't use the most important tuning component, which you don't mention, the GPU. So it's fairly easy to analyse. You should use Task Manager to see what limit is actually being reached. It might be maximum CPU, or it might be disk speed. It might be paging a lot if you need more RAM.

But I have to say, if you're looking at optimizing hardware, you probably have a major OCR workload and Acrobat is not the tool for you. It's a light duty desktop tool for low volumes. Look for non-Adobe products optimized for OCR. They may of course not do as good a job of OCR. We cannot discuss the rivals here, but I feel I should mention that they exist.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 27, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not a helpful answer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but it's the correct one, even today...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
dlevy129 LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty pathetic being the acrobat does not invest in R&D for making Acrobat DC faster by using multiple cores and 64 bit architecture.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0