Highlighted

What happen the permitted actions, "No changes allowed" after Digital ID expired? (Acrobat Pro DC)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add "Certify (invisible Signature) on public documents, so it doesn't allow anybody to edit, but view. I noticed that digital ID expires in 5 years and it can't be changed 5 years to never expired. 

2020-09-14 15_09_51-27. blank - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

2020-09-14 15_10_39-.png

After the digital ID is expired in 5 years, does it allow anybody edit the document?

Topics

Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What happen the permitted actions, "No changes allowed" after Digital ID expired? (Acrobat Pro DC)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add "Certify (invisible Signature) on public documents, so it doesn't allow anybody to edit, but view. I noticed that digital ID expires in 5 years and it can't be changed 5 years to never expired. 

2020-09-14 15_09_51-27. blank - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

2020-09-14 15_10_39-.png

After the digital ID is expired in 5 years, does it allow anybody edit the document?

Topics

Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to extend its life if that is what you're worried about. But from what i understand this shouldn't be a problem unless you clear that signature and try to apply that expired certificate.

Also, Check the guidelines of the certificate issuer. The certificate authority that produces these certificates may have additional information in this regard.

Is this a self-signed certificate?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Is_rbls.

Yes, it's a self-signed certificate.

I'm wondering if the document is still not editable or not if I don't extend its life after the certificate expired, 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that what you're concerned about has to do  the certificate revocation and trust status after it expires. And possibly getting signature validation errors if that document is opened at a later time that is past the end of life for the certificate that was used to sign that document, correct?

I don't think that is a problem since  the Adobe Acrobat's default signing method ("Adobe Default Security") will validate that digital signature against the timestamp that was created with at signing time.

If this is what you're inquiring about here's a very good technical explanation that I found: 

In fact, if you go to Edit--->>>Preference--->>> Signatures --->>>"Identities & Trusted Certificates" --->> you can check the details of such self-signed certificate through  "Windows Digital IDs" or even in the "Trusted Certificates" section(s).

To backup what I'm saying , in the "Digital ID and Trusted Certificate Settings" dialogue box, left-click once with your mouse pointer on your self-signed certificate provided in the list, then above that,  click on the "Certificate Details" tab.

In the next dialogue box that will open ("Certificate Viewer"), click on the "Revocation" tab and see below the notice that is  displayed in the  "Details" section.  See slide below:

certificate-expired.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all your informaiton!! I appreciate your help! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 1