• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what is difference between Acrobat Distiller and Acrobat DC?

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is difference between Acrobat Distiller and Acrobat DC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distiller can create PDF files from PS (PostScript) files. Acrobat can create PDF files from any file format, as well as edit them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation.  Now I understand.  I obviously haven't had to deal with these kinds of problems in the past so am a bit lost trying to expand my learning curve.

I have use Microsoft XP Professional for years and have found it to be the best program I ever used for the kind of works I do.  It is now my standby because some areas do not recognize XP, grrrrr!  I now have Windows 10 which I hate...can't find anything.  So, I do some of my work in XP, save to a flash drive and then plug it into 10 so I can save the work in a 10 program because some of the internet links don't recognize XP anymore.  If I didn't have so many years of work on Microsoft I would try to find a more compatible computer program.  So much for progress...but, I'm wandering here which is my tendency to do.

I'm sure I can figure out how to correct my problem with all your help.  I always look forward to leaning how to fix the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Acrobat Distiller is part of Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way back in the beginning, the proper way to create a PDF was to Print to a PostScript file, then open the PostScript file in the Distiller (after choosing the correct joboptions). Distiller is still part of Acrobat, but there are newer and better ways to create PDFs. For the most part, use the new, better ways. For more on the Distiller, read this short Help file from Adobe:
Acrobat Help | Creating PDFs with Acrobat Distiller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that I have written my book and now need to create a .pdf copy in order for my publisher to publish.  My page size is 6" wide and 9" high for the manuscript done in Microsoft Publisher.  My page size for my cover is 12.5" wide (without bleed) and 9" high (without bleed.  How do I instruct Adobe Reader to select this page size when converting these two parts to .pdf?

So far I can convert but have to use much larger Adobe page-size selection in order to not have the size of my conversion not clipped off.  My publisher has to have the exact size of each...apparently modern publishers cannot "clip" and resize...

I have printed 3 books over the past 10 years, never had this problem. The publisher I used for years  has since sold out to KDP Amazon which, along with at least 5 other publishers I have contacted can't seem to handle anything but exact pdf page size for both manuscript and cover. 

I think I have found areas that will allow me to do this, but not sure which offer the page-size ability and I don't want to buy something that will not do exactly this adjustment when printing my work to a .pdf copy. 

Am herein attaching a copy of my book cover.  It is the correct size for this book but my publisher rejects it because if comes through as 8.5" x 11" when converting to .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do I instruct Adobe Reader to select this page size when converting these two parts to .pdf?"

Not possible with Acrobat Reader. Acrobat Reader can't create PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what you've shared with us is already a PDF. It is 16.53 x 11.70 inches. So I don't follow "rejects it because if comes through as 8.5" x 11" when converting to .pdf." because (1) it isn't 8.5 x 11 and (2) it's already a PDF, there is nothing to convert.

This page has crop marks and is prepared for print publishing. Do you just want to crop it down to 12.5 x 9? You can do this in Acrobat (but not in Reader) using the Crop tool and setting mrgins of 1.349, 1.349, 2.0216, 2.015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I didn't clarify,  I select the larger page for my cover because Adobe Acrobat Reader which does create a file transfer to .pdf does not give the option of page-size selection, so I have to select the size large enough to not cut off part of the files.  My book size is 6" wide and 9" high but Adobe insists that the transfer .pdf is 8.5 x 11. 

Okay, will try to see if I can find "Acrobat" ... assuming this is a separate program from "Adobe Acrobat Reader" ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by " Adobe Acrobat Reader which does create a file transfer to .pdf "

File transfer?

If you want to edit PDFs or do production work, you need the paid-for Acrobat app, not the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I do my work in this case of writing my books in Microsoft Publisher then "print" the final copy to .pdf .     Oh, just looked deeper and see that I "print" to Microsoft Print to .pdf and file that copy to "Adobe/Acrobat Reader DC"  Another lesson learned.

So, perhaps I'm looking for the wrong program.  I need a program which will print my "publisher" program to .pdf  and that I can size the page/pages to size I need to be accepted by book publishers.  Wow...sure needed these details.  TU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be "stuck" again.  I am now trying to find a program that will process my 6" x 9" size book and 12.5" cover (spans front, back and spine)  into the same size .pdf documents that I can forward to my book publisher.  Both book manuscript and cover are done on my Microsoft Publisher 10 Program.   I surely cannot be the only person with this problem!  My deepest thanks to you who are experts in this area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat DC Pro can scale page sizes of PDF documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no need to do that. The publisher just needs to set the printing settings to fit the content of the page to the physical size of the paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines