• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I extract PDFs from a portfolio in bulk not all files are extracted

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bulk converted some emails into a PDF portfolio in Acrobat Pro DC. When I go to bulk extract and save them to a folder I am notified that some emails have the same name.  I am offered the option of overwriting or skipping, neither of which is an appropriate option as these are different emails. For most files with the same name Acrobat adds a 1,2,3... at the end so they will save.  However, for some files, Acrobat is not doing so.  In the end, of my 193 files within the portfolio, only 174 are saved.

In response to this exact question, Amy Grey suggested: Under the Files view in the Portfolio, select all of the emails and then drag them to a folder. Do not use the Extract from Portfolio option.

However, while this may have worked for previous versions, I seemingly cannot do this.  I can select the emails, but I am not allowed to Copy-Paste, nor Drag-Drop.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see two issues when this arises:

1. When I have more than 10 emails with the same subject line.  It appears the (n) can only go up to (9).

2. When two emails have different cases.   So, "RE Printer" and "Re Printer" leads to an overwrite because the "Re" portion of the subject line happens to have two different cases in the two messages, but "RE Print" and "RE Print" leads to RE Print and RE Print (1), because both "RE"s have the same case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the number of files as I thought, it totally has to do with the case.  If any "n" emails have the same Subject line, all letters within that Subject line must be of the same case across all "n" emails.  If any letter in any one of those emails differs, whether it be "RE" vs "Re", or "FWD" v "Fwd", or even "Needs" vs "needs", then what seems to happen is that Adobe doesn't initially consider them to belong to the same string of emails, so doesn't want to number them (1) to (n), and instead wants to overwrite it, I'm guessing because Adobe sees "Re Print" and "RE Print" as different filenames, but Windows does not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actualy I think it has to do with the date.  Apparently, two emails with the same subject and the same date are considered the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out what is going on here, at least in my configuration. The problem happens when you are dealing with a portfolio generated from conversations spread across different outlook-folders.

Let me explain in more detail. My problem originated in the manner in which I had emails grouped in conversations and their folder locations in outlook. I inadvertently had conversations spread across different folders. It turns out you can have conversations spread over different folders in outlook but outlook will allow you to view all the emails in the conversation regardless of location. It sort of tricks you into thinking you know where your emails are located. But in fairness to outlook, the ones in a different folder will be grayed out.

When such a conversation is exported with PDFMaker (adobe add-in for outlook), the generated portfolio will have all the emails, but you will only be able to extract those emails that were in the initial outlook-folder that you were trying to export.  Apparently, when the portfolio is generated, PDFMaker will only make enough names for the emails that are actually in the folder you are trying to export. Later, when you are extracting in bulk the pdfs from the portfolio, the adobe program assigns those names to the items in the portfolio. If there are more items then pdfs, which happens when emails in a conversation are spread across different outlook-folders, then there will be duplicate names and extracted pdfs will be overwritten.  

When I made sure to move all the emails in conversations into the same outlook folder that I was trying to export, then after I generated a portfolio, I was able to extract all the individual pdf's correctly. Yeah, it was a subtle bug for a non-programmer like me and I nearly went bananas figuring that out.

I hope that helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines