• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When signing, graphic is not transparent...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In Adobe Acrobat (any version after 6), when I sign a document, the background of my signature is transparent (it was created as a .gif). When I try to sign using Acrobat Reader DC (v2015.023.20070), though, that same transparent background turns White. How can I sign it so that the background remains transparent?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi seanmcgu,

I have tried to add the signature using "Image" option under Fill & Sign tool in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

The background of the signature added was transparent.

Could you please let us know the exact steps you do to add the signature in the file.

It will be helpful if you can share the screenshot of the signature added in Adobe Acrobat and in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Meenakshi

Our Document Control department sends out PDFs with the signature blocks already input for us:

Signature transparency problem-a.png

All we have to do to sign is left-click on it, sign and save, and then close it. The graphic that is imported is initially setup from "Edit/Preferences/Signatures/Creation & Appearance", then under "Appearances", click "New". Once that is set up, it will always pull the correct image file but in Acrobat Reader DC, the same image doesn't come in with a transparent background:

Signature transparency problem-b.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi seanmcgu,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Please try repairing the application and make sure that the application is updated to the latest patch relaeased.

Open the application and go to Help menu > Repair installation and Check for updates.

Now check if you still experience the same issue.

If the issue still persists, let us know the exact steps how you have created the digital signature.

Is it an issue on a particular system or PDF?

What is the dot version OS version installed on your system?

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from 2017 however the problem still exists. 
I've created one Digital ID with a Signature Image and it comes out transparent (it was created from a PNG file who's background is transparent). However, i'm trying to help another colleague to do their own and their signature comes with a white background. I used the same method of creating the PDF file you need for the signature (starting from a transparent PNG file) and it still comes out with a white background.

Would love to get a resolution to this.

Using 

RichardP_876_0-1597432665820.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, figured it out.

The problem is the creation of the PDF file that you need for the signature. I tried converting the PNG to PDF from GIMP, Irfanview, and Windows Photo Viewer. None of those worked. 

However, if you create the PDF from within Microsoft Word, it somehow comes up with having transparent background.

I hope that helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to comment on a 5yo post to let people know this is the only working option I've found in 2022. Thanks to Richard for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another solution, which I share here.

I opened my scan (a jpg image) with Paint, trimmed it, but without adding transparency. Then upon import Acrobat automatically removes the background (which was slightly colored).

I have no idea why Acrobat kept on adding a white background on my transparent image though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know the question was posted years ago, but it's 2022 and I found myself with the same problem, which I was able to figure out by reading the comments.  Instead what I did was print my document as pdf, apparently, when you print pdf it flattens it out. Then your transparent signature will stay transparent. Actually many problems are fixed when you work on a flattened copy of the document. Hopefully, this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your solution and it's still strange that there's no easy way to deal with signatures and transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines