Highlighted

When trying to add digital signature screen goes black

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Adobe Reader DC and I would like to digitally sign a document. I have installed my certificate, I think it was successfull. But when I try to digitally sign it, the screen goes black, nothing happens and I have to press Esc to return to the document.

I can see that under the black screen, there is the box where the singature should appear, but it is not working.

Thank you

Stepanka

Hi Stepanka,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue when trying to sign a pdf using digital signature, is that correct?

Please try following troubleshooting steps:

Launch Reader > Edit > Preferences > Signatures .

Under Creation & Appearance > click More > uncheck use modern user interface for signing....

Relaunch Reader and check.

Also, try signing another pdf file using certificates and try again.

Also, let us know dot version of Reader and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Topics

Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

When trying to add digital signature screen goes black

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Adobe Reader DC and I would like to digitally sign a document. I have installed my certificate, I think it was successfull. But when I try to digitally sign it, the screen goes black, nothing happens and I have to press Esc to return to the document.

I can see that under the black screen, there is the box where the singature should appear, but it is not working.

Thank you

Stepanka

Hi Stepanka,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue when trying to sign a pdf using digital signature, is that correct?

Under Creation & Appearance > click More > uncheck use modern user interface for signing....

Also, let us know dot version of Reader and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Shivam

Topics

Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stepanka,

Shivam

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you for your help, it worked!

Stepanka

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

I just got the same issue and your suggested fix worked well.  Thank you 🙂
But thought I would give you my version details.
Acrobat DC 2019.012.20034

Mac OS 10.15.4.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same symptoms using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2019 

• Architecture: x86_64
  • Build: 19.12.20034.328841
  • AGM: 4.30.85
  • CoolType: 5.14.5
  • JP2K: 1.2.2.43391

The solution above (unchecking use modern user interface for signing, followed by a quit and relaunch of the application) didn't resolve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped very much! I had the same issue and it worked amazingly. Thank you a lot for solving this trick 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method does not work for me and the screen is still grayed out, like another responder stated.  Can you please suggest other things to fix this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the method described above. At first it did not work for me but then I unistalled/reinstalled/logged out/logged back in and it seemed to fix it...good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and restarting the MacAir, but it's still showing a black screen and I don't know why. This worked on my other computer before, so I'm at a loss. I even tried importing a signature file. Not sure what to do next.

Thank you! Amy

Continuous Release Version 2020.006.20034

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 20.6.20034.366983

AGM: 4.30.98

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.45402

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me either. Repeatedly tried. On iMac Pro. 

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 20.9.20074.389258

AGM: 4.30.101

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.46033

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same problem except when the screen greys out I can't escape or do anything. The suggested troubleshoot did not work. Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF