Highlighted

why are pdf documents printing out with left side partially cut off?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF's I receive are printing with part of the left side of the page cut off - how do I change the left print margin in Acrobat Standard XI? I can't figure out how to increase the left margin and this is driving me crazy.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

There are no margin controls. What you have is a choice of two ways of printing:

1. Exactly as the original - same size and position. If the design is very close to the left side, it will probably be cut off because your printer can't print that close to the edge. But this is a very important mode, especially for things like official forms which must be exact.

2. Scaled to fit. Here, we work with the "printable area", the space your own printer is able to use (different for each printer model). The pages are scaled into that area, so almost never printing life size. Any blank space in the PDF is scaled too.

You choose between these (and other) options in the print dialog.

TOPICS
Print and prepress, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

why are pdf documents printing out with left side partially cut off?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF's I receive are printing with part of the left side of the page cut off - how do I change the left print margin in Acrobat Standard XI? I can't figure out how to increase the left margin and this is driving me crazy.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

There are no margin controls. What you have is a choice of two ways of printing:

1. Exactly as the original - same size and position. If the design is very close to the left side, it will probably be cut off because your printer can't print that close to the edge. But this is a very important mode, especially for things like official forms which must be exact.

2. Scaled to fit. Here, we work with the "printable area", the space your own printer is able to use (different for each printer model). The pages are scaled into that area, so almost never printing life size. Any blank space in the PDF is scaled too.

TOPICS
Print and prepress, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 01, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2017 2
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been having the same problem for months, couple of years.  Today I really needed to print ALL of a vendor's invoice.  Finally got it printed by changing the HP printer setup Advanced | Graphic Scaling to 95% and the left part of the invoice printed just fine.

I only have this problem once in a while but sometimes you REALLY need to have that left side.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting it to 'scale to fit' made no difference for me. What fixed it for me was actually loading it into adobe acrobat and printing it from there rather than firefox..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me. I have a Brother printer. We have an e-filing system in our local Courts, and the stamp appears in the far left margin. It would show up in the print screen, but it wouldn't show up when printed. Changing the scale to printable area made it jump in or over and it printed. Thank you.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0