• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I open pdf file sent by email?

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Word 2007.  I couldn't open a pdf file sent to me by Hotmail email and using Explorer 9.  If I download it open/save I can open it but can't open it as an email. 

I have Acrobat and even reinstalled it because I heard I should do that to make sure it was installed properly.  Should I purchase something to help this problem?

Please, help

Thank you,

Apadana

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you trying to open it in browser by clicking on the link in the e-mail?

What is the exact behavior when you try to open it, i.e does it give any error message ?

What is the version of Acrobat installed on your machine? please update it to the latest version.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HitenderPrakash,

It opens it in Word and the document is scribbles.  I recently installed Acrobat to the latest version.

Thank you,

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Apadana,

Because of some reasons the association of PDF files have changed to Word on your machine. Please repair your Acrobat from "Control Panel -> Add and Remove Programs". It should solve your problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as you instructed but it didn't fix the problem

Thank you,

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Apadana,

What happens when you double click a PDF file on your machine? Does it also open in word?

Try changing the association of PDF files to Acrobat. For doing so right click on PDF file and go to properties and Now click on "Change" button against "open with:" and select Adobe Acrobat to open the PDF files as default app.

temp.jpg

This should solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HitenderPrakash,

I followed your instruction but the dialogue for Properties is different.  It states unknown protocol.

Thank you for all your help!

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file extension PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't know what a file extension PDF is.

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save it to your HD, then explorer will show the file type (probably PDF). This is a screwy change that MS did several years back so they no longer show the extention (you can turn that on in the Explorer options if you want). Basically, most files have an extension -- like PDF, DOC, DOCX, EXE, COM, BAT, TXT, etc. These are used to determine the file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I can follow your instructions up to finding extension in Options.  Sorry for my lack of ability to do this.

Thanks,

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows explorer, you should have a type column (use the details display) that will show PDF. You can select the type column to order the files that way and then look for all the PDF files.

If you like, just save the file from your e-mail client to your HD (note where it is). Then open Acrobat and use the File>Open menu to find the file and open it. If it can not be found, select *.* or all types in the open menu to see if it shows up and try to select it for opening. You may be simply having a problem of a corrupt PDF, typical of many e-mail packages do to failure to properly handle the PDF.

I guess I am losing track (or never really understood) of your problem. If this does not work, you might want to restate your problem, possibly with some screen shots to demonstrate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Sorry I don't understand  your instructions nor what you're saying.  It's not you but my lack of computer knowledge/skills.

Thanks again for your help

Apadana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to open no counting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines