• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does acrobat create a prn file instead of printing my document?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the acrobat reader create a prn file instead of printing my document?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The only reason why a .prn file would be produced would be if you have selected the option to print to file.

Go through all the options available from the print dialog and you will likely find a dialog in which there is a print to file option that unintentionally got enabled (with a check mark). Uncheck the option and this problem should go away.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason why a .prn file would be produced would be if you have selected the option to print to file.

Go through all the options available from the print dialog and you will likely find a dialog in which there is a print to file option that unintentionally got enabled (with a check mark). Uncheck the option and this problem should go away.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to thank you for this answer! So simple, yet has eluded me for months! Gracias!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!  Many thanks.  How this got checked suddenly yesterday

I can't understand, but I rather suspect it was the result of an automatic Windows 10 Quality update.  In any case you saved my day these many months after your posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have looked for the "print to file" setting in my printer with no luck, besides in my case it does not create a "prn" file, it simply gives me "save" as the only choice, even after saving the file, and then keeps asking if I want to replace it, etc. already tried all choices I coult think of.  Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have print to file selected and it still tries to save as prn it worked fine until 2 days ago I've even unistalled and reinstalled Adobe same thing happens now I can't print anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screen shot of your Print dialog, and the Advanced box from the Print dialog. Perhaps there is another clue there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me too! My designer sent me documents in a .pdf file, and when I went to print in Adobe, it said I had to REsave in a .prn file, but the borders are diffent sizes, even though it looks good on the computer. No matter which way I save it. Any Advice would be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacquelinebarnesnac_0-1712780924787.jpeg

And My borders still print out different sizes, I'm so lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Is this an issue an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

Also go to Print > Properties > and set Adobe PDF page size to 'Letter' > click OK and check.

You may also go through the help page https://adobe.ly/3vQuM7C and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this exact same issue. I found the setting at Ctrl+P>Advanced. Here there was a checkbox marked "print to file"... thank you all so much!!!

1to1design_0-1602542591479.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the "print to file" checked and it's still printing a prn file.  If I try to print the prn file to adobe, it opens a onenote file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen, please show your Print dialog and Advanced Print Settings dialog. Perhaps there is a clue there for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-11-23 161606.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what was the solution? My print to file isn't ticked yet it's still saving a prn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super quick and effective. Took a minute to figure out the dialogue box under Advanced. However , unchecking that fixed the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines