• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Adobe require an email client?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe acrobat reader because I have no choice. That is the format I receive documents.
I will NEVER use M$ Outlook, I hate Outlook. I use a simple web-based email that Adobe is too simple to recognize or integrate with.

Yet, Adobe insists that I have an email client specified because the masses are too lazy to do the hard job of sending a pdf file OUTSIDE of Adobe software, and it seems that Outlook is the only one that they can possible accept. Adobe will not stop complaining about having no default email client specified.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

I thought I didn't recognise the problem. Reader XI 11.0.5 was released 7 years ago. Adobe have completely redesigned the latest version to use webmail if needed.  Reader 11 is long past end of life and no more fixes will ever be made for it (though you are missing 18 of them!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does "Adobe" complain (what triggers it)? What version do you have exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader X1 11.0.5

Every time I open a pdf, there is a modal window in Adobe reader that opens in the background, sometimes behind other windows like "pop-unders"... I have to close this window before the document will completely open. The text of this window is...

Title bar: Microsoft Outlook (which I do not have installed)

There is either no default mail client installed or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.
Please set Microsoft Outlook as the default mail client.

I only receive this message when opening documents in Adobe Reader. I only use PDF files for work. Honestly, because I have no "personal" interest in exploring further, I am unfamiliar with any other software outside of Adobe (reader or acrobat) that uses PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I didn't recognise the problem. Reader XI 11.0.5 was released 7 years ago. Adobe have completely redesigned the latest version to use webmail if needed.  Reader 11 is long past end of life and no more fixes will ever be made for it (though you are missing 18 of them!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why do you believe you have no choice? Are you unaware that PDF is an ISO standard with multiple implementations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader does not "force" you to use an email client, including Outlook. Maybe the file is trying to generate an email when opened, and when it fails it shows this message, or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for the feedback

Hard lesson learned.  Keep your software up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines