• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does pdf content changes from image to bloacks of colour when opened in different software?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any body had this problem? Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

I've created several pdfs (in Serif craft artist software).  when saved and viewed all looks normal and as it should.  But when I try to import them into another software (silhouette DE) some of the documents change - the images just become big colour blocks.  some of the pdfs are fine but most go funny.  (Silhouette is compatible with pdf imports).

(I've tried PNG versions of the same but they are so blurry and low resolution-looking)

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

2019-03-09 (7).png2019-03-09 (5).png2019-03-09 (6).png2019-03-09 (8).png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are countless PDF viewers but very few fully support all of the features a PDF file can hold. If you have numerous, complicated shapes that may even be interacting using blending modes there is a good chance something will go wrong.

The safest solution might be to just condense everything into a high resolution image(s). Is file size an issue? You have lots of large areas of solid colour which would suggest a PNG file might be your best solution.

In case it's relevant you can also export out images from Acrobat.

File > Export To > Image > PNG

File > Export To > Image > JPEG

When you are saving out an image look for the Settings button. This will open up a dialog box where you can change numerous things including the resolution.

If you absolutely must have a PDF, there is no reason why you couldn't have your PDF contain a single high resolution image(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response, I am definitely looking for the best quality image that I can get (as they will be printed and made in to stickers and other stationery products).

Your advice is very helpful – will give them a go – Thank you!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Happy to help.

If you are sending the document off for professional printing then a file containing vectors is likely much better than an image. Talk with the printers and ask them what format suits them best for the kind of content you are creating. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines