• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Remove Hidden Information and Sanitize Document cause file size to increase 2-10x?

Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using book-scanning services, I have books scanned into pdf files as 300dpi images. Using Acrobat DC Pro, I run the Recognize Text tool within the Enhance Scans category (which actually decreases the file size). I then, within the Redact category, try to Remove Hidden Information or Sanitize Document, and the file size explodes upward. As a representative example, this is what happens:

Step 0: Book as received from scanning service: 19MB

Step 1: Book after running text recognition: 13MB

Step 2: Book after running Remove Hidden Information: 53MB

or: Step 2: Book after running Sanitize Document: 22MB

Incredibly, not only does the file size increase dramatically when removing information/sanitizing document, but, to put salt on the wounds, the image quality also decreases noticeably! This always happens, with no exception.

1) Why does this happen? Intuitively, I would think removing hidden information would actually reduce file size, especially if the image quality deteriorates.

2) Is there any solution to this?

3) Assuming there is no good built-in Acrobat solution, is there any third-party software alternative to sanitize pdf documents that doesn't cause file size to explode up?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sammyb81891914,

This is a known issue and we are working on it. As a workaround, you might try optimizing the pdf file to make it PDF version 1.7 and compatible with Acrobat 10.0 and later.

Thank You for your patience.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I optimized my file to make my PDF compatible with Acrobat 10.0 and later, but "Remove Hidden Information" or "Sanitize Document" still make the file size explode.

Is there any detailed steps that we can follow? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this?

Still an issue on Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 Mac  (17.11.30105)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its 2021 but no update. same problem exists..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. First time really using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and i'm running into this exact issue. Quality of the image diminishes tenfold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

Please refer to the following thread: forums.adobe.com/thread/1396892

This problem has been known for 4+ years! Please don't tell me that you are working on it if you're not actually working on it. Instead of copping out, how about you actually do the work?

Or please just tell me the truth: Adobe doesn't care enough to fix it so deal with larger file sizes or don't use the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue since January 2017, probably earlier. Nearing 2021, still not fixed, like nearly every other issue. Just experienced this same problem that I've been experiencing for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just redacted and sanitized a couple of PDFs, and the file size stayed roughly the same, but the resolution of the display dropped drastically, to a fuzzy unusable lack of sharpness. So the whole redaction tool still isn't usable.

Or is there some way to preserve the quality of a PDF after it's been redacted and/or sanitized?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file looks awful and the size is huge. I see this has been an issue for many years, when can we expect to see a fix to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still present.  We get file sizes that are ~3x the original, when we run Sanitize.

If we Optimize, we get to remove what we select and the file size stays roughly the same size or shrinks a bit.

Please fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from selecting any changes you want to make individually;

once ready to save

Try

Save As - Adobe pdf Optimised  select Settings

within settings select Clean Up    change option to  Leave Compression Unchanged

( I also use compatibility as Adobe 6.0 onwards )

That seems to work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2024 and the problem still exists. I'm using the sanitize function to remove hidden text artifacts because they slow down viewing of pdfs of music. Opening in photoshop shows that this inexplicably resamples bitmap (black and white) images to a lower resolution in RGB (full color), which both severely diminishes quality and increases file size. Why are we paying out the wazoo for a program whose developers leave bugs like this in place for EIGHT YEARS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is so pathetic this is still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines