Highlighted

Why is my converted PDF document not showing the Alt Text from my word document? I made sure to save it

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before converting my Word document to a PDF I made sure everything Microsoft word flagged in the accessibility check was fixed. That included adding Alt Text to my images. Then I used "saved as" to save my document as a PDF and checked the box to include document structure tags for accessibility. When my document was converted to PDF and I ran the accessibility check, none of my images have the Alt Text that was added to the images in Word. Now Adobe want's me to re-add Alt Text for each image which creates duplicative work. How do I make the Alt Text from my word document come over when I convert it to a PDF?

Hi Jennifers,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, please refer to the following KB articles which discuss the similar issue and scenario Alternate text disappears in Acrobat DC

Alternate text not always displaying

You may also refer to Repair tag structure accessibility | Adobe Acrobat DC PDF

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why is my converted PDF document not showing the Alt Text from my word document? I made sure to save it

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before converting my Word document to a PDF I made sure everything Microsoft word flagged in the accessibility check was fixed. That included adding Alt Text to my images. Then I used "saved as" to save my document as a PDF and checked the box to include document structure tags for accessibility. When my document was converted to PDF and I ran the accessibility check, none of my images have the Alt Text that was added to the images in Word. Now Adobe want's me to re-add Alt Text for each image which creates duplicative work. How do I make the Alt Text from my word document come over when I convert it to a PDF?

Hi Jennifers,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, please refer to the following KB articles which discuss the similar issue and scenario Alternate text disappears in Acrobat DC

Regards,

Anand Sri.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 19, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifers,

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnandSri-

I reviewed the Alternate text disappears in Acrobat DC, but that does not help , as it refers to adding alt text manually with Adobe Acrobat and my issue is with adding text in Word and it not coming over when converting to a PDF. Your link for the Alternate text not always displaying is no longer working. 

ScI am having the same issue as the OP, where I am using the latest version of Word, adding in the alt text for the images, then using the Acrobat Make Accessible option in the Microsoft Word ribbon. When the document gets converted to an Adobe PDF then goes through the Make Accessible options, when it gets to the detecting "figures with missing alternate text" it is finding many items that I had already added the alt text in Word are now missing that alt text. Sometimes it converts some of the alt text, and not others for images/objects in the same document! This is making for double work, and is particularly concerning when some of the documents we create in Word are hundreds of pages long with hundreds of images and charts. Here is a screenshot showing that the alt text is added in Word, but not found by Acrobat Pro. What is further concerning is that the Accessbility Checker report shows that only 6 figures need alternate text, however if you go to the accessibility tool and use the Set Alternate Text method, it shows that 8 of the 18 figures do not have alternate text. I'm not sure why the report is showing a different number of figures to fix than the accessibility tool. Is there a way in Word, an option that needs to be checked, an accesibility format to save as to force all of the alt tags that are already created in Word to show in the converted PDF document?Alt text added in Word.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0