Highlighted

Why is the file size of a merged pdf smaller than the sum of the originals (without compression)?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have a problem. I rendered several pdf pages out of Photoshop and want to merge them in one single pdf without compression for the printing service.  I did this with the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and the best quality settings. In my understanding this is without any new compression. After the merging process the file size of the single outcome pdf is much smaller than expected. In sum of all pages I expect about 4 gb of file size. But it is only 500 mb large. In my understanding this is not uncompressed. What did I wrong?

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why is the file size of a merged pdf smaller than the sum of the originals (without compression)?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have a problem. I rendered several pdf pages out of Photoshop and want to merge them in one single pdf without compression for the printing service.  I did this with the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and the best quality settings. In my understanding this is without any new compression. After the merging process the file size of the single outcome pdf is much smaller than expected. In sum of all pages I expect about 4 gb of file size. But it is only 500 mb large. In my understanding this is not uncompressed. What did I wrong?

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the Audit Space Usage doesn't explain me, is the difference between the original file size and the merged file size, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the space usage for fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The soace usage of the fonts is not the problem... 

IMG_20200914_214619_871.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original image file type and what method did you used to merged these files together into a single PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean in Photoshop? I used jpegs, texts ect. Than I exported all this uncompressed as an pdf. Than I go to Acrobat Pro DC, tools, merge pdfs, options: best quality, and than merge all 13 pdfs together.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your files only images, or do they also contain text? If they have text then the fonts used for it might explain this.
Imagine you merge 10 files and each file has a font embedded in it that's 10MB. The merged file doesn't need to have 10 copies of this font, only one, so just there you've saved 90MB off the total size of the merged file compared to the originals, without losing any data or compressing anything...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

thank you for your awnser! This seems logic for me. But and this the big problem. it depends not on the text (see the screenshots of the space usage of just two files). So the pictures make about 99% of the file size...

IMG_20200914_214619_871.jpg

IMG_20200914_214614_863.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0