• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY on earth is McAfee being installed when I attempt to update?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the everliving fkuc is some bullsith, unwanted, uneccessary antivirus software being shoveled onto my computer when I attempt to upgrade Adobe?   I EXPLICITLY selected the opt-out option and was STILL forced to uninstall some BS McAfee program!  This goes against every aspect of consumer trust when you are TRICKING people into downloading this terrible garbage.  It is the most slimy, backhanded, untrustworthy business practice and anyone asscociated with Adobe should be deeply ashamed of themselves.  I have uninstalled every adobe product and service and I encourage everybody to do the same.  I need help understanding how a company with such supposed repute would employ such backhanded, disgusting business tactics.  Fcuk Adobe and FKUC McAffe antivirus.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

There is an optional offer to install a McAfee application when you install the free Adobe Reader, but it's disabled by default, and should not happen unless you actively clicked a check-box. Maybe you did so in the past and it remembered your decision and therefore installed it again when you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An upgrade or update of Adobe Acrobat doesn't install McAfee. Why does you assume this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an optional offer to install a McAfee application when you install the free Adobe Reader, but it's disabled by default, and should not happen unless you actively clicked a check-box. Maybe you did so in the past and it remembered your decision and therefore installed it again when you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all.  The program that was installed was not even listen in the optional installs.  It wasn't security scan plus, it was some other smaller mcafee app.  It is really abhorent business practices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was it? How do you know it came bundled with the Adobe update? Which application did you update, by the way, and how did you do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated acrobat reader, it installed McAfee Web Advisor.  I double checked, it was absolutely from the adobe update.  I am not a computer illeterate person I understand WHY it happened I am wondering how Adobe employs such backhanded business tactics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same thing happen.  I did NOT select a box to allow the download of McAfee.  I am not pleased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this happened to me too. I downloaded the acrobat DC reader because I need to read a PDF file for a Auto cad assembly I need to model in maya. I went to download it, and click on the file it proceeded to install mcfee on my pc didn't even realize it the first time because I was distracted by my 2 year old son. then I saw it installed scanning my system. This garbage needs to not be included at all with software. Very tacky, very unprofessional and puts user's systems at risk. I should make my own decision on which AV software I wish to use. MCafree is absolute garbage.  I am not impressed by this behavior from adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also I had no option as I could see to not install it, just straight up installed mcafee garbage onto my system with no checkmarks viewable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++in addition to the expert's answer.

There's a check box under "Optional Offers", that you can enable or disable accordingly.

Optional offer.PNG

~Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes at the download page by default it will download the installer that includes the Macafee virus software.

Jonathan5CD4_0-1613772580442.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It caught me the first time as well but I cancelled the installation before Macafee was able to install itself.

The only reason I installed adobe acrobat is because I did not want to use microsoft edge.

It is a constant struggle to keep this junk off of your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this offer is NOT presented at install time nor is readly apparent on download page unless you look for it. this has been reported as malware as this installation Installs unwanted and unrequested software by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interface on that screen is incredibly deceptive.

Sure, McAfee is an option to install, but it's disguised in the interface so that most users won't see it. And the default setting is set to install McAfee.

I agree with the original posters: why in the world is Adobe forming this sales relationship with a totally unrelated software comapny? (McAfee is now owned by Intel.)

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't look like an option to me.  There's no way to opt out of the install.  Doesn't Adobe make enough money off of us that it doesn't need to resort to deceptive practices?  This cost you at list one Acrobat Pro license (me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - started at the beginning again.  I now see that the option is all the way at the beginning where you download.  So, I agree it's optional, but it's still deceptive as the choices are preselected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. They are not selected by default. Try it with a fresh browser session or in Private mode. Maybe you had them selected in the past and it remembered this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it was preselected for me as well. I was surprised to see the install progress bar, They really need to keep this junk off computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines