Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows explorer crashes when loading PDF thumbnails

Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows explorer crashes when loading PDF thumbnails. When it's only a few PDFs, there's no issue. If a folder has around 50 PDFs, it takes time to load thumbnails and Windows explorer crashes. When I disable this feature in Adobe Acrobat DC preferences, there's no issue and already loaded thumbnails are intact. Thumbnails are very useful to recognise an eBook without reading the name of file name.

How to fix?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

I believe the issue is with the file length. I had the same problem. Often construction drawings have very long file names and when opening a folder full of drawings with long filenames, my Windows Explorer would crash and restart. I don't know whether it is an Adobe restriction inside Acrobat or a Windows temp file storage issue but I resolved it by renaming the files. It doesn't appear to be a specific character count per file as I have had instances with only a few files with longer file name

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anwer,

As per the issue description mentioned above, Windows explorer is crashing when loading PDF thumbnails, is that correct?

Could you check if an update is available for Acrobat using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, reboot the machine after installing update and try again. You may also download updates from here: Adobe software and product updates

If that doesn't work, try repairing Acrobat using "Repair installation" option under Help menu, reboot the machine after repair and check.

Also, could you let us know dot version of Acrobat DC and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2019.008.20080. Just now I updated to 2019.008.20081. I did what you said. And it's not been resolved. I demonstrated the issue in a screen recording. Click the link to see Shared album - Shahrukh Anwer - Google Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anwer_23,

Thanks for sharing the video. Could you try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Download and run cleaner tool on the machine to uninstall Acrobat: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

2- Reboot the machine

3- Download and install Acrobat from here: Download and install Acrobat DC subscription

4- Reboot the machine again and check.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the only one who face this issue? Are you certain that re-installation might fix the issue and it has nothing to do with the design of the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anwer_23,

There is a thread which I found seems similar: Recent List, Slow Down Preview, Freeze/Crashing

As mentioned you updated to version  2019.008.20081, try rebooting the machine once if you haven't already and check if that helps. You may also try reinstalling Acrobat on the machine and see if that resolves the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check whether downgrading resolves the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the issue is with the file length. I had the same problem. Often construction drawings have very long file names and when opening a folder full of drawings with long filenames, my Windows Explorer would crash and restart. I don't know whether it is an Adobe restriction inside Acrobat or a Windows temp file storage issue but I resolved it by renaming the files. It doesn't appear to be a specific character count per file as I have had instances with only a few files with longer file names show thumbnails without issue which makes me think it's a Windows cache/temp file conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish someone from Adobe, if they think this is the "correct answer", or whatever special status its been given at the top of this page, could elaborate as to what file or path length is the threshold below which the problem will not occur.  It is such an infuriating impediment to best, thumbnail, use of Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A correct answer is chosen by the OP (author) or a forum moderator on older entries. There is a big chance that this answer has been decided by the OP. If you look below, this is being contested by other participants. If you have this problem, I suggest that you read the whole thread and decide what answer is the most probable correct answer. You can upvote that one, more upvotes gives it more credentials.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea who you are but I did just, thankfully, discover online an alternate method of gaining PDF thumbnails, that doesn't have the Adobe bug, so I'm laughing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I neither have no idea who you are, but I answered your request. And I'm happy when you are happy. Have a pleasant day.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I didn't choose this as a correct answer as this is not a correct answer. The problem occurs with small and large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out how to fix this issue for myself and it has NOTHING to do with file name length. I discovered that if you have Acrobat DC AND Google Chrome Adobe Acrobat Extension, they cause a conflict that can cause explorer.exe to crash.

The Fix: Disable Chrome's Adobe Acrobat Extension, turn previews back on and it should work. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any such extension in Chrome yet still suffer from Windows / Explorer crashing after enabling Thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone answer this case ?

It has absolutely nothing to see with file names for me. I don't have funky plugins neither.

My comlputer is clean, powerful. I repared, restarted, tryed, uninstalled, tried, uninstalled with revo, tried again, again, again.

This is getting on my nerves. I can't navigate through my files without having this ralph-wiggumed acrobat saying : "une erreur interne est survenue" and then making everything freeze.

Capture d’écran (177).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions listed here solved the problems, this is an issue with an update, it happened after the 2022 update. This is something else and crashes windows explorer during reading and loading, even so, after clicking ok it will load the document into acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. But crashing the preview makes the process long and paralyses the computer for an amount of time that's not just easy to deal with. If it just took half a second it would be ok, but here we're speaking about dozens of them everytime we click on a PDF with the preview on - which should be ok to do in 2022, shouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I found some workaround for this issue (it's been killing me for weeks now). While you have the explorer window open, try to switch from the preview window to the details window (shortcut: Alt+Shift+P or just switch it in the View menu). It seems like it helped with the issue HOWEVER you have to deal with it, Adobe, and you better do it ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that adobe has been kicking the can to solve, they keep giving weird solutions and none of them work. It seems that one version of adobe has corrupted code that creates a conflict during the process of reading of the document.  It has nothing to do with thumbnails or previews, you will get the error even when you try to read the document. Acrobat will give you an error (without an error code, really adobe to error code?), apparently the developer team was in a hurry to push that version and forgot to add the error number to the error handling routine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took me ages to work out what the cause of the rapid black-white-desktop icons - black-white-desktop icons screen flashing issue was.  Thought it was a virus and lost a lot of data, time and some money going down that route.  Since stumbling, via Google, on how to deliberately cause, and cease, the problem by way of enabling/disabling thumbnail previews in Adobe Acrobat's Preferences, I just gave it another test. Yep!  Problem persists!  HIGH TIME THIS WAS RESOLVED BY ADOBE / MICROSOFT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When and how was it resolved???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Somewhere - whether here on the Adobe forum or some other similar page elsewhere on the internet - someone mentioned sumatrapdfreader.  So I gave it a go.  A free download, make sure you open use the Options at installation, choose PDF Thumbnails and hey presto, some small independent free software provider has managed to do what the mighty and expensive Adobe Acrobat can't (and evidently doesn't want to do) !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines