Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word2010 form to PDF - check boxes aren't recognized by Acrobat 10

Participant ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellows!

I've encountered a weird problem - when converting a form created in Word 2010 to PDF and running the field auto-detection wizard in Acrobat 10, the check boxes originally created in Word are recognized by Acrobat as text fields and not controls. Tried replacing the word 2010 check box with a "legacy" check box - no difference. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't really matter what's the type of object they originally were. The form detection wizard works on a visual basis, not based on objects. Basically there's nothing much you can do about it, except try to find an object that is recognized as a check-box.

Another option is to use a script after running the wizard to convert those files to check-boxes.

Or you can use OpenOffice, which can generate PDF files and convert the fields in the document directly to the same kind of fields in the PDF version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gilad,

Thank you very much for your response!

What do you mean by an object that is recognized as a check box? I guess you meant a special character?

My form contains tables that have check boxes in 2 out of 4 columns. So how can I traverse through all tables, select the 2 and 3rd column and put a check box in each row? It should also involve resizing the check boxes as the Acrobat default ones are too big. They should also be aligned. Can javascript do all that?

BTW, I saw someone on Youtube putting a "legacy" check box on a Word page and using Acrobat 10 to convert it to PDF. After running the form wizard, Acrobat recognized the check box as a radio button. I can't reproduce the same for some reason.

Have a nice day and thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick test clarified the case: when a check box is put outside a table, Acrobat does recognize it as a check box. But when it is put inside a table cell, Acrobat ignores the check box and creates a text field that covers the table cell. Any ideas how to make Acrobat recognize the check box inside a table cell?

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach is to open the Word docuement in OpenOffie.org Writer, add the form fields and exprot to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GKaiseril,

Thanks for the suggestion!

The problem with this approach is that:

1. Opening a word doc. in openoffice ruins the layout (headers/footers are misplaced, some tables aren't rendered properly, etc.). So the file requires reconstruction.

2. Effort-wise, adding new form fields manually in openoffice is the same as adding them in Acrobat.

Apparently, this is a bug in Acrobat. Check boxes must be rendered as check boxes no matter where they are put - inside a table cell or in a body text.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try making the check boxes bigger or with thicker borders.

Personally I never use the "Form Wizard" because there is still a lot of cleanup of the fields and adding scripts to get the form to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, this did not help. But thanks for the suggestion!

Have an excellent day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had good experience in using Wingdings symbols. #168, for example, is consistently converted to a check-box even when in a Word table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gilad,

I tried using the Wingding symbol you mentioned - same result - text field that covers the whole table cell. I tried increasing the size of the symbol - same result.

Which version of Acrobat/Word are you using?

I am using Word 2010 and Acrobat 10.1.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I forgot to mention that some of the cells where then identified as text boxes, but removing them was quite easy and fast. I used Word 2003 and Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. I wonder why this does not work in Word 2010. Removing text boxes manually may be a good solution for small forms but not for 10-15 page documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey rombanks,

Did you ever find a satisfactory solution to your problem?  Being a forms newbie, I naively designed a beautifully formatted, complex, multi-page form in Word 2010, with checkboxes everywhere in tables. 

Then when I imported it into Acrobat X forms wizard, it translated 90% of the checkboxes into text fields, and some into radio buttons.

I started fixing it in Acrobat, replacing the "text" boxes with checkboxes, but the auto-sizing and alignment commands don't work very well and it's super difficult to get all the new checkboxes to line up perfectly and look professional the way they do in Word.  VERY time-consuming.

Ugh.  I'd really love it if I didn't have to start over from scratch and could "run a script" as some have suggested..."Another option is to use a script after running the wizard to convert those files to check-boxes." - Gilad D

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, annieab,

Currently, there is no satisfactory solution, if you would like to continue using Word 2010 and Acrobat.

If your form is short (less than 10 pages), you can try importing the form to the Adobe LiveCycle Designer (by default, installed with Acrobat 10). This may work for you.

Alternatively, if you are ready to abandon Word:

1. Save the Word file in Open Office format (.odt).

2. Open the file in Open Office and replace all Word check boxes with the "native" Open Office check boxes.

3. Export the file to PDF. All check boxes will be rendered correctly.

HTH,

Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both of Roman's solutions, and 1) my PC doesn't have Adobe LiveCycle for some reason, and 2) I downloaded OpenOffice and the formatting in my form was completely thrown off.  I can see that if one were starting from scratch that could be a good solutions and I'll try it i the future.

So I contacted Gilad D, got his script, tested it, and bought it.  It works like a dream!!  I am so happy right now!  I would HIGHLY recommend it for anyone having this problem.  It doesn't affect the complicated formatting of my form at all, which is super critical.

It comes with instructions and even though I'm a total newbie and didn't even knwo what a "script" was before today, I'm all set  and running!

I guess he's not allowed to sell it on here directly, but it was worth every penny I spent. 

Thanks Gilad and thanks for answering my questions.  You rock. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi annieab,

If you have Acrobat 10 Pro, Adobe LiveCycle Designer should be installed as well, unless someone removed it deliberately.

I converted my Word documents into OpenOffice as well - except for minor header/footer issues, I did not have any problem. Conversion to PDF works like a charm.

In any case, I am glad you solved your problem with check boxes.

I hope that Adobe will improve the form control recognition mechanism in the future versions of Acrobat.

Kind regards,

Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old chain but ran across it looking for an answer.  I found it and thought I'd post it here.  I think the script that Abobe wrote for this tells it to look for a box shape with text next to it.  I tested my theory and it worked!  If you put text next to the boxes and then run the auto-detect it works.  Easier to remove the text from Adobe then to create all of those stupid check boxes by hand - especially when you have them throughout your form!  Hope this helps someone.

Mariann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone is still interested in this topic, I've recently developed a script that will consistently convert Wingdings boxes and circles to check-boxes and radio-buttons, resp. It can be found on my website, here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat/Reader -- Convert Wingdings To Fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Just for clarification, it only works for the empty boxes, as opposed to the boxes with a check or x in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All these years later and this is STILL the best/easiest answer! Thank you so much for saving me hours and hours of work and reformatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new 1 or 2 page document and try a subset of the questions for your form. Since you created it in Word and want to keep it that way as a template for any changes then don't use OpenOffice. Take one page of the form and copy it to a new document. Create a table for the check boxes and questions. Do a few at a time. It does work but sometimes after a few cut and paste operations it will stop working. Add a few questions in 3 or 4 rows and check to make sure the form wizard works as desired. Once you have it working then you can finish adding all the other questions. It does work, you just have to be careful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use OpenOffice.org Writer to create the form and form fields. Then use Writer's "Export to PDF" to create the form in PDF with form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rombanks said in two different posts - Opening a word doc. in openoffice ruins the layout and Removing text boxes manually may be a good solution for small forms but not for 10-15 page documents. Since it sounds like it is already in Word, it seems the goal is to get a format in Word that works. I have a similar form in Word and it was converting check boxes to radio buttons. Since I want to keep the original Word doc as a template for future changes and it has all the original formatting I don't want to create a new doc in OpenOffice. While I like OO, it is not always feasible. Plus, for me, the document is for a client who needs to be able to make changes to the content and fix it as needed. I can then quickly run the form wizard, lock the document and republish it. So, back to the solution, it is possible to get the forms to convert correctly, but work with a page at a time and get the content in a table seems to work for me. There seems to be some sort of interaction between the automatic numbering in Word and the way it tags check boxes. When running the form wizard in Adobe something is amiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually got this working. This issue is Word's default style for Special is set to 2-fmButtonEffectSunken. Adobe has a hard time deciphering that. So all you have to do is set the style to fmButtonEffectFlat. Then Adobe seems to pick up the check boxes like a charm. So yea, no need to rely on Wingdings or some fancy square box shapes.

Best thing, I always found the boxes either too high or two low compared to the text sitting the the right of the text box. Well you can fix that too in the properties by adjusting the height!

Hope this help!

Image showing checkboxs with flat effect ("Pre-Processing") and rest with sunken effect

Formatted Button.JPG

Image showing properties of "Pre-Processing Checkbox

checkbox properties.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this solution also work when using Radio Button objects in Word? I'm running into the same issue with a 38 page document and Adobe Acrobat Prepare Forms doesn't read the Radio Button when nested within a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines