Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong document title shows when I open a file

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

I am working on an iMac using El Capitan 10.11.6. Until last week, when I upgraded to DC, hoping it would solve my problem (did not) I was using the previous version of Acrobat Pro. Regardless of version of Acrobat, whenever I open a PDF that came originally form a Word file, the wrong file title appears in the title bar above the page. Instead of "BigFile-Client ABC-2016" the title will be what it was in Word the first time I made the file "BigFile-GENERIC-2009" Even if I resave the file, add or subtract security, close and reopen, the name in the title bar is still wrong, and always an old name from years ago. This is a problem since I am customizing the same document for different clients and changing the names so I can tell them apart. Oddly enough, if I save and close the file, it appears in the desktop with the correct name and this does not happen at all with files that were originally made in InDesign. This problem just started a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas? What could have changed to cause this to just start happening?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

If you get the right title in the source document in Word (or even blank), that would automatically be carried over when you create PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I'll try to find out how I do that in DC Pro, though as only a fairly basic-level user it may take a while. I may try to focus my efforts on finding how & why the "Initial View" field can be set to different values from various PDF-creating sources (Excel, Word, CutePDF, and others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really quite easy. Go to Tools - Action Wizard - Create New Action and add to it the following commands (in this order):

Set Open Options (from Document Processing) and Save (from Save & Export).

Then click the Open Options command on the right and tick off the Prompt User box. Now click on Specify Settings and this window will appear:

Only change the "Display Document Title" option to Yes (or No, if that's what you prefer). That's it.

Now save your Action and click on it to run it in your files/folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the Action and ran it - changing it to NO instead of YES - worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add a Save command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - sure did - thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input... I followed your directions and thought this would help when I saved a word document to Abode Acrobat Pro DC but it did not. How do I add a "Save command" I cannot figure that part out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above refers to an Action. Is that what you're using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Thank you

Casandra

C: 408.420.5486

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can manually go into PDF properties and select “file name”… however I have tons of PDF’s that I work in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's what the Action is for. If you use Acrobat XI or higher then you need to add a specific Save command to it, after all of the commands that edit the file, or it will not save it automatically and you'll need to click Save for each file, which kind of defeats the purpose.

This command is under the Save & Export panel. So your Action needs to look like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooooo much, I appreciate your help... it works, as long as I click the option that says: Save as Adobe PDF.

If I manually click save as PDF it does not but hey I can work with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't just a Word problem. This is an Acrobat problem. I created a document in FrameMaker 2019 and have the exact same issue. It doesn't matter who opens it after it's renamed, it retains the original name. Adobe should fix this, rather than requiring people to open the document in the original program to rename it. This isn't a Word issue. So where is this happening? All other documents allow renaming in Windows. One must assume that it has to do with the pdf file type. I'd be fascinated to know if other pdf read/write programs have this issue, or if this is Adobe specific. This makes my job less convenient, since I have to rename this three times in my workflow. All I can do is assign the final name that I want, and rename in between, so that when I assign the final name, it is the name that shows in the Reader/Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the title in the FrameMaker document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's absurd. We have documentation naming standards, and my documents HAVE to follow those. Fix the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every PDF file has a file name and a document title. It has also a option which determines what will be displayed:

Bild2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear what your issue is. Is if that you can't rename the actual file? Is is that the title you selected is not shown when you open the file? Is it that a (wrong) title is shown instead of the file-name? Please clarify, and include the exact details of your OS and Acrobat or Reader versions (not "the latest", please).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and couldn't figure it out until I understood that Acrobat is pulling metadata from the source file (which is at least 15 years old!). Word has my maiden name in the souce document "document title" properties and so even though the file name has been changed over the years, it began to show my old name since I've been saving over the same document for that long. The problem was solved once I copied my document contents, opened up a brand new document file and pasted the contents into that file. In this new file, there is nothing listed as the document title, so Acrobat shows the file name in the title bar above the page. If I save this new document down as different file names now, any pdfs created work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon me but this to me is NOT a solution. I want to see the FILE NAME not the Title. I'm a seasoned IT guy and this does not really help. I could get 10 documents with same title but different file names. I cannot tell from the Tab which one is which. People update the document but do not change the Title. I do not have the document to change the title, but I can change the file name. You should give people a choice not force what you think is best because it's not the best for everyone, it's not even a good solution if you don't want that. I get documents from some people by email. They are PDF files but they all say Powerpoint Presentation on the Tab, how the heck am I supposed to know the difference? Again I have no access to the source file. It does not help 1 bit that it says Powerpoint Presentation. I have Zero way to tell which version of the file is open on which Tab when they all look the same. The PDF has links but those are hidden so it's also impossible to tell by the content. Seems like it would be easy to show the file name. But thank you for listening. I hope they can update this to provide choices, Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat or Reader? If the former then you can change it. If the latter then you can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change it how?

I agree with Jeffer03 - it's ridiculous and useless to see "Powerpoint presentation" instead of file name.  Further proof that coders (and their bosses?) don't belong in normal society where common sense is required.

Every file should show the name.  That's what 99% of the world uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change this with Adobe Acrobat. Or remove the title from the Powerpoint file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!!

I know no one has posted here recently but I am a college student and have been going through the same issue. I was getting SO annoyed that I had to go into each individual document to look at the content to know what it was instead of skimming the title.

I have also been opening my documents into Word first, then exporting as a PDF, but there is a way to easily fix this for all your PDF's! I have a Mac so it may be a little different but this should still work

Open Adobe - without opening a document so it brings you to the home page

Click on "Adobe Acrobat" - (for mac) this is where it is possibly different for other computers

Click on "Preferences" - if you open a document and try to do this, you will be brought to the preferences specifically for that document and not Adobe as a whole

On the left side, click "Documents"

Check the box that says "Always use filename as document title"

This worked for me so I hope this can help!!! I attached some photos

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.06.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.02.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!

Also see a control to decrease the crazy-big default view upon opening a
document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this didn't work for when I tried it 2 weeks ago. It should've fixed the problem, but it didn't. It was never a problem before I had to reinstall my software, so I don't know why it's an issue now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for this - I was going spare trying to find a simple fix 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines