• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I copy a password protected file for which I have the password?

New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a secure pdf file and the password to open it. I need to upload an unsecured copy of it. I unlock it then attempt to copy or save to my computer or upload and when I go to the copied, saved or uploaded version, it is locked. How do I copy it so I may use it unsecured?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Hi Dowzerw,

Unlocking the PDF would not remove the password from the PDF. You need to remove the password and then save the PDF which can be achieved via Adobe Acrobat.

If you are using Adobe Acrobat, then follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Click File
  2. Click Properties
  3. Click Security Tab
  4. From the drop down select "No Security"
  5. Save the PDF

Let me know if you have any other question.

Regards,

~Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dowzerw,

Unlocking the PDF would not remove the password from the PDF. You need to remove the password and then save the PDF which can be achieved via Adobe Acrobat.

If you are using Adobe Acrobat, then follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Click File
  2. Click Properties
  3. Click Security Tab
  4. From the drop down select "No Security"
  5. Save the PDF

Let me know if you have any other question.

Regards,

~Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually not accurate.  It doesn't let you do this when the .pdf is already signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, signing is final, you can't go back. But why do you tell us this 7 years after the discussion finished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple.  I'm looking for answers and there aren't any that are accurate or updated.  Do you have a better solution?  Isn't this why Adobe has people rely on comment threads instead of their actual help site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer from 2014 was correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the answer to this different question is: if the file is signed you cannot edit it or remove security, even with the password. Signing is final. I don't think you like this reply, but that doesn't make it wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update the 'correct' answer, this is no longer the case. You do not need Adobe Acrobat Pro to do this in Windows.

Windows enables you to print to PDF after you have opened the original file using the password, whereby the password security is overridden and removed in the 'printed' document.

Hopefully the 'correct' answer can now be marked as such...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe do not support, condone, or allow discussion of techniques to remove a password by "back door" methods, or non-Adobe products. So any replies which mention this can be expected to be deleted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not have the desktop app. How can the file be unlocked using the web app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources