Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I password protect a pdf?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi bill234,

To password protect a PDF file, you need to use Acrobat. Please see Acrobat Help | Securing PDFs with passwords.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bill234,

To password protect a PDF file, you need to use Acrobat. Please see Acrobat Help | Securing PDFs with passwords.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my Adobe Acrobat XI Pro doesn't have Protection under common tools...

Where can I find this aspect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi keithl,

First, please make sure that you're using Adobe Acrobat, rather than Adobe Reader (I make that mistake all the time, as I have both on my system).

Then, in Acrobat, you'll find the security options in the document properties:

1. Choose File > Properties.
  2. Click the Security tab.
  3. Choose an option from the Security Method pop-up menu, and follow the prompts.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Export PDF . I needed to password protect a file 1 year ago and the online help guided me to do this.

I cant seem to find the way to do it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

Thank you for reaching out.

You will need an Acrobat subscription to password protect the PDF. You may refer to the steps suggested in the following help document to password protect the PDF: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/securing-pdfs-passwords.html

Adobe Acrobat Export PDF only helps you convert PDF files to other format files. For more information about Adobe Export PDF, please refer to the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/faq/adobe-exportpdf-faq.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is the opposite.  I have files I wish to combine into 1 PDF.  They were filled and signed by me and now it is saying they are password protected.  I didn't - intentionally - set any password for these documents.  So what password is it looking for?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The password is the one used for the digital signature. You will need to remove that signature to be able to merge them. Open them in Acrobat, right-click the signature field and select Clear Signature to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosemary261418457g3i,

Thank you for reaching out.

It seems that you are trying to combine the PDF which is signed in Acrobat Sign. 

If that is correct then it is not possible to combine those documents. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I have a question Meenakshi.  

If this is not possible to do, why does it ask for a password when I try to perform that action?  And, I am still at a loss as to what password?  I did not set one so this is confusing.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources