• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf File Compression

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to reduce the file size of a multi-page pdf document.

The native file is a 26 page Illustrator file with images, graphics and text that has been saved as a pdf. The pdf file size is 258.2 MB. My client needs the file size to be 2 MB to be able to upload the file to a website as a multipage document that retains the best possible visual quality.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as PDF without the Illustrator stuff, loosing the ability to edit easily in Illustrator. That will save some bytes.

Then it will be a trial and error, a good starting point will be the smallest file size preset. If that one brings you not near the desired size it will be impossible.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I kind of had a feeling this was going to be impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it all depends of your Illustrator file and how much of the data is outside of the artboards. But 250 down to 2 is quite impressive.

Keeping the PDF (Illustrator) editable will store all original Illustrator data and the resulting PDF. If there are layers off, you could also try deleting those beforehand. I didn’t check now if layers are kept with the PDF file when off.

Just for your information: My 4 pages flyers stay in your indicated size, when exported to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No data at all outside the artboards. I was able to get the file size down to 4.8 MB.

After that I opened up the 4.8 MB file in Preview and did Export > Quartz Filter: Reduce File Size > Save, which is supposed to "reduce" the file size. I increased the file size to 7 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Preview is apparently not a good tool for that. You have, I suppose, done a good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources